• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for someone to help with modifying bumper

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am looking for someone that is able to help me with cutting and rewelding an aluminum bumper off an old Jeep J10 so it will fit well on my ranger. I am attaching some pics of it in front of the original bumper. I would prefer it to be someone near Green Bay. I would be doing the work except i dont have an aluminum welder. Also what do you guys think of it? It would be getting painted black.

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also should i get it cut in the middle or cut the ends

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If you cut the ends off it will not look right at all. It is just so thick in the middle. So....cut it in the middle to shorten it about 12 inches at least. You don't want it sticking out too far or it will be a tree grabber...lol.

nate09

Reaction score
I may be able to help and in the Green Bay area. Tell me what your plans are.

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my plan is to possibly take that bumper cut out how ever much needs to be cut out of the middle then weld it back together and then weld in some brackets or make something out of steel to tie into the brackets already on it so i can add tow rings and a front hitch (i dont think the aluminum would last long if i tried to pull from it) but this all depends on if my dad will give me the bumper lol we pulled the front and rear bumpers off when we junked it so we could sell them for aluminum. i also would like to try and figure out some way to still include the brush guard until i make a new one

nate09

Reaction score
I would suggest you just wait till you can build a bumper that would suit your needs, it is what I would do. However, it is up to you.

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that was my other idea i already have the back bumper planned bit would 1.75 inch water pipe (idk what kind) be heavy enough for the rear bumper if im welding a receiver tube in and recovery rings? it probably wouldnt be towing anything heavy maybe just a 2 place snowmobile trailer or a 4x6 trailer with a 6 hole dog box on it most likely itll just be used for outriggers for the dogs

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the short answer to water pipe is no. you really need dom tubing and reinforcement for what you are planning. water pipe will just bend til it breaks which will be pretty fast no matter what you are doing with it. and it could do it in such a fashion that it could hurt someone.
just my $.02.

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how do i know if it is DOM? like how think are the walls? i can mic up the pipe and see if someone can tell me the thickness

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i miced the pipe (that might not be the correct term) one is .145 and the other is .150 i felt the inside and out i didnt feel any welds

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
stay away from metal "water pipe" as it is galvanized and altho it is the same sizes and thickness as standard black iron t&c pipe it is alot weaker. it bends very easy. i know this cuz i deal with it all the time.

if you dont want to shell out for DOM or HREW. black iron pipe "gas pipe" can be used with allright results. my first couple versions of front and rear bumpers were made from the stuff. as well as my tire carrier headache rack and several other bumpers on several other truck. if they are built correctly they will hold up very well. even tho it is not considered "structural steel" it get's the job done, is the right price. and is readily available.

i wouldnt ever use it on suspension or steering components cuz i'm not convinced it would hold up to continous stress but it definately get's the job done for what i use it for. remember it will only be as strong as your weakest joint tho. and it is softer than "structural steel"

I have several pics in the build threads listed in my sig line of some of the bumpers ive made from the stuff. you will have to search thru the pages as they are scattered

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how much bracing would it take it the toe rings were attached directly to the frame (more or less) kroussinoffroad how much would it cost me to make a bumper similar to the one on the bronco 2? would you be willing to maybe come down and help me fab it up? (im about 20-30 minutes from marinette/menominee)

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im only going to use the pipe because its all i have right now and i dont have much money

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
are you north or south of MM?

i think we have 3-4 hours into the b2 bumper (bevrage breaks included)
the ranger has the same frame width as a b2 correct? cuz if so i could make you one in my garage then i dont have to worry bout transporting any tools or such. as far as price i think i might have 50$ ABSOLUTE MAX into the bumper.

get ar me and let me know.

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im south about half way between there and green bay (if u know where 41/141 split im about a mile from there) does the bumper have a hitch? how much do you have in the one on the B4000?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals