• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird problem 95 ranger 2wd 4 cyl electrical issue???

bdd1987

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so the last couple weeks has been kind of a pain. I already posted this once but things have changed a little since then. From the start, i replaced the ignition lock cylinder. About a week later the truck wouldn't start. No clicking, no sounds, just a no start. So I give it a jump and it starts find but the battery voltage gauge is flickering and a bit on the high side. Then i go to autozone and replace the ignition lock cylinder again, and it starts without a jump! Which to me seems unusual because if the problem is in the ignition assembly why would a jump make it start? Anyway, the problem persisted again and in about a week it was the same thing. So then I replace the ignition starter switch. Doesn't make a bit of difference. Then I take it to a mechanic. The mechanic tells me I have a bad battery and thats the problem. So I replace the battery and it starts just fine. Later that day same problem. So I take it to ANOTHER mechanic the next day. This mechanic tells me after I drop it off that it's starting just fine and he tested the alternator, the battery, and the starter and all of them are testing ok. Also tells me the ignition is in good shape. This was a couple days ago and now it will start weak sometimes, not start sometimes, and start just fine sometimes. But a jump will always get it started. So it's an intermittent issue and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. And now 2 mechanics have told me neither can they. I have gotten to the point where i bought a battery booster and just carry it around with me for when it needs to be jumped. Odviously I don't want to do that forever though. Ideas? Anyone??

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok, so the last couple weeks has been kind of a pain. I already posted this once but things have changed a little since then. From the start, i replaced the ignition lock cylinder. About a week later the truck wouldn't start. No clicking, no sounds, just a no start. So I give it a jump and it starts find but the battery voltage gauge is flickering and a bit on the high side. Then i go to autozone and replace the ignition lock cylinder again, and it starts without a jump! Which to me seems unusual because if the problem is in the ignition assembly why would a jump make it start? Anyway, the problem persisted again and in about a week it was the same thing. So then I replace the ignition starter switch. Doesn't make a bit of difference. Then I take it to a mechanic. The mechanic tells me I have a bad battery and thats the problem. So I replace the battery and it starts just fine. Later that day same problem. So I take it to ANOTHER mechanic the next day. This mechanic tells me after I drop it off that it's starting just fine and he tested the alternator, the battery, and the starter and all of them are testing ok. Also tells me the ignition is in good shape. This was a couple days ago and now it will start weak sometimes, not start sometimes, and start just fine sometimes. But a jump will always get it started. So it's an intermittent issue and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. And now 2 mechanics have told me neither can they. I have gotten to the point where i bought a battery booster and just carry it around with me for when it needs to be jumped. Odviously I don't want to do that forever though. Ideas? Anyone??
when it does not start is it totally dead? does it crank over and just not start?
. if it will not even crank have you tried jumping the fender relay? do the headlights work?......did you check the grounds?

*I think you might be in the wrong forum..you want to be in the LIMA 4 banger forum. maybe someone will move you there

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals