PDA

View Full Version : Bad oil circulation, new pump

sillyphuc
02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
I am working on 85 Ford ranger, I took it on an off road trip and beat it up pretty bad, had to drive at high rpm to get up a hill and it got very hot by the time I got to the top. I let the engine cool and started to drive it home. After about 4 or 5 miles (maybe 10 min of driving) I noticed that my oil pressure gauge was bouncing at the bottom of no pressure so I had my buddy tow me home. I Fixed all the things I broke (Engine mounts, smashed carburator, broken shifter, broke clutch line, ect.) and put in a new oil pump and took off the valve covers to visually see how well it is pumping. I had no oil coming up thru the push rods so i took off the distributor to prime the pump manually with a drill and after about a min of spinning the shaft that goes to the pump I got a small drizzle of oil from the holes that are on the rockers but still no oil out of the push rods. Someone I know said that I may have spun the bearings and that would block the oil flow, If that is the case i have to do a rebuild so If you can think of anything else I can try I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance
-Shawn

Totalled
02-15-2008, 04:35 AM
It's not a hydraulic cammed motor... you won't see oil out of the push rods... they are solid... It oils thought the rocker shafts.

sillyphuc
02-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Any idea why I cant get good oil flow with a new pump? someone at work told me that I am probably sucking air at the take up tube, Is there anything else that it could be?

Yank
04-29-2008, 10:48 PM
"Totalled" told you that the top end is oiled through the rocker assembly because the pushrods are solid. Look at your rocker assembly and you will see three bolts holding it down. The middle bolt is where the oil comes through and fills the bar the rockers are attached to, hence, oil comes through the weep holes.