• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need a system. NON-RANGER

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My DD is a 1977 GMC Sierra K25. I have no audio in there at all, and I need some ideas. I don't wanna spend a bunch of money but then again, I'm not sure what isn't a lot and what is a lot. I need everything. Speakers, headunit, and maybe a small sub?

Not really sure I'm looking for some help here.

Somethings I want for the headunit:
Aux port 3.5mm jack
MP3 CD capability
A remote would be nice too.

Overall, I want the truck to sound good but I'm not a big person for rap so I don't need like 62 subs in my truck so yeah.

thanks.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
this is the deck i have, its awesome i love it. its got the ipod jack in the front, and you can buy an adapter to plug your ipod in the back and control your ipod from the deck controls, its mp3/wma/aac capaple (i make my own mp3/wma cds with like 300 songs on them) and you can get it at walmart for around 130 i think thats what i payed for it. its the best deck ive had and its not too expensive. and its a good brand name.....and its got a remote

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
oohh looks sweet. let me get a few i was looking at for opinions. i'm definitely liking that one though.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
now that i think of it i think i payed 150-160 for it, BUT theres one thats almost just like it, but instead of a little blue light, its green, and there might be a couple different buttons, i dont know i didnt look at it too long and this was last summer.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
The first I looked at was this JVC

Then was at the store looked at This.

Now I'm not too worried about headunits. Now I need to know about speakers. I want my music to sound good loud, not blaring loud, heres something to compare it to. My moms 03 ranger edge. I want it to sound better at the highest volume on that ranger....

Not sure if thats a good comparison or if you even know what I'm talking about...

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
unfotunatly i dont, but what i have for speakers are polk audio 5x7's. theyre pretty loud because of the built in tweeters, and you can set them with no bass so if you get a small sub like you were stating, that system could sound pretty bad ass. unless you like thumping down the street and settin off car alarms, a 10" sub that puts out 150-200 watts of constant power would be PLENTY. but make sure that you buy an amp and sub with the same or if not close specs as far as rms, ohms n what not.

the only draw back to the speakers i have, they were costly, i think the bill with install was $300 but it was well worth it. (and it was high school graduation money :)) componet speakers are an option as well for the bass they can put out, but i dont know how loud you can go with them before they start to sound crackly unless you amplified them. my speaks are un amped and it can get too loud if i put the volume past 25 and usually keep it on 20.

if you go back into the list of threads for this forum theres a thread called "my set up" a few down from this one, thats everything i have in my truck. best of luck to you

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
unfotunatly i dont, but what i have for speakers are polk audio 5x7's. theyre pretty loud because of the built in tweeters, and you can set them with no bass so if you get a small sub like you were stating, that system could sound pretty bad ass. unless you like thumping down the street and settin off car alarms, a 10" sub that puts out 150-200 watts of constant power would be PLENTY. but make sure that you buy an amp and sub with the same or if not close specs as far as rms, ohms n what not.

the only draw back to the speakers i have, they were costly, i think the bill with install was $300 but it was well worth it. (and it was high school graduation money :)) componet speakers are an option as well for the bass they can put out, but i dont know how loud you can go with them before they start to sound crackly unless you amplified them. my speaks are un amped and it can get too loud if i put the volume past 25 and usually keep it on 20.

if you go back into the list of threads for this forum theres a thread called "my set up" a few down from this one, thats everything i have in my truck. best of luck to you
how much am I looking at spending? i'm not sure what this is going to cost me....

and the other thing is, for my truck there are no stock speaker locations. so i have to get small boxes for behind my seat and i think i'm going to cut into my kick panels...

as for subs, do i have to get an amp, i mean even if i get a small sub?

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
let me talk to my friend who put a stereo in his 85 chevy, im pretty sure he put 6x9s in behind his seat. you can get good stuff for cheaper at walmart. for the sub, yes you would need an amp, but if you went with component speakers, they put out some bass and dont sound that bad until you turn them waaaay up. but check out walmart, even ebay you can get some smokin deals on there im sure. another friend of mine got like $1500 of amps n subs for like 500 i think off of ebay. so check it out.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm. I don't think I'll be getting a sub right away then.

I was thinking 6x9's behind my seat and I'll make boxes for them so they have a place to go....

Now just for front speakers...

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cruthfield has some good deals......
i would go with some componet....seperate tweets and mids........put the tweets on the pillar and the mids in the doors.........6x9 in boxes behind the seat with a powered bass tube like bazooka

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
oh yea, forgot all about that site, deffinatly go there

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
ebay is SOOO YOUR friend..

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ebay is SOOO YOUR friend..
x2

you should use crutchfield only for research. almost everything they sell can be found cheaper on ebay.

first i would ask you to come up with a budget. here are 2 option id reccomend. 1)headunit, 5.25 or 6.5" component speakers, 50-100watt per channel 2 channel amp, 8awg amp kit, 16g speaker wire, lots of sound deadening. 2)headunit, 5.25 or 6.5" coaxial speakers, 50-100watts per channel 4 channel amp, 8 awg amp kit, 16g speaker wire, 8 or 10" sub, lots of sound deadening.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i would come up with a budget but im not sure what any of this costs....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals