• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Ranger dies 2009

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
One little fact buried in the linked piece about Ford's $2 billion UAW savings is this: the Ranger is dead come 2009. It has been known for a while that the Twin Cities Plant in St. Paul, MN that makes the Ranger would close, and the closure date has been pushed back one year, to 2009. The Cleveland plant that casts engine blocks will also close that year. Credit goes to Automotive News for teasing out these new nuggets of info.

We wrote earlier about possible rescue scenarios for the Ranger, but it looks like the Ranger mine has been shut down and sealed off. Mulally has said that Ford will be more forthcoming about its plans at the Detroit show, so anything is still possible. However, after 26 years, it looks like the compact pickup truck thrill is gone. For you Ranger fans out there, the tune you're looking for is "Taps."

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/20/its-apparently-official-the-ford-ranger-is-dead-come-2009/

http://jalopnik.com/cars/industry-news/the-ford-ranger-goes-bye-bye-in-2009-325103.php

http://www.truckblog.com/story-1498-ford_ranger_cancelled_in_2009

Well, this sucks, I was planning on buying a brand new Ranger when I Moved to BC in a few years, guess that plans out now, this is probably the worst news I've heard in a long time. RIP Rangers.

ajd

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Why buy a ranger when you move to BC... buy one in alberta now and save the PST.......

Go buy a mazda RIGHT NOW in fact, that is just what I did...

Mazda base model in Canada with the 2.3L and 5spd is $14,995 + $1,390 destination = $16,385 MSRP.......

however, right now there is a $2400 cashback offer + 0% financing. You could get one for like $14,500 at 0% interest.

broken2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they will only be dead here. ford in its infinite wisdom will continue to build them for the rest of the world.

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
BUT, whats to say Ford is not importing a compact truck from somewhere else?

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
there not according to a scorce in a ford dealership its will be coming back as a crew cab made in north america

rebelfan83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That stinks...
one of the reasons the feds started this 35mpg crap is because of no small efficiant trucks...Ford is the ONLY small truck manufacturer in the US left...
Tacomas are too big as so are the Nissans...(both have terrible mileage too) No one has the balls to stick with small...too many suvs around....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That stinks...
one of the reasons the feds started this 35mpg crap is because of no small efficiant trucks...Ford is the ONLY small truck manufacturer in the US left...
Tacomas are too big as so are the Nissans...(both have terrible mileage too) No one has the balls to stick with small...too many suvs around....
Fullsizes are getting very close to getting the same milage as small pickups. The only Ranger you can really justify over a fullsize for milage alone is a base 4 cylinder with 5-speed, and they cost about the same as a base F-150...

broken2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah but a f-150 get garbage for gas mileage no matter what motor it has.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah but a f-150 get garbage for gas mileage no matter what motor it has.
Mine gets 18 on the highway, as good if not better than most 4.0 trucks, and I can do more than tug a small trailer of brush to the dump as well.

A base Ranger also lists for about the same as a base F-150, but the 4.2 (to be discontinued next year) has more power than a 4.0 Ranger, which is much more expensive. I don't know how the 2 valve 4.6 that will the base engine next year will effect that though.

88ranger04

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i had a 2004 ranger 4x4 4.0 auto. now i have a 2005 f-150 4x4 4.6 auto and the gas mileage is the same

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Fullsizes are getting very close to getting the same milage as small pickups. The only Ranger you can really justify over a fullsize for milage alone is a base 4 cylinder with 5-speed, and they cost about the same as a base F-150...
I don't buy that argument. A base XL F-150 starts at about $25 000 here in Edmonton. Thats a V6 2wd regular cab truck. I bought my loaded FX4 for a bit more than that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't buy that argument. A base XL F-150 starts at about $25 000 here in Edmonton. Thats a V6 2wd regular cab truck. I bought my loaded FX4 for a bit more than that.
I just looked on their website, a base XL F-150 starts at a tad over $17k. They show a base Ranger for about $14k. For 3k that is ALOT more truck for the money. Obviously dealers favor selling the F-150 and will probably more willing to deal with them, and what you actually pay will vary by your area.

Around here if they were asking that much for stripped down trucks they wouldn't be selling them, that is way over priced in my opinion.

Mini-Me RNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I love my ranger. I wanted to buy a new one in couple of years. But why when My 1973 Ford F-100 will be done.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I want to get a new Ranger to repace my '96.... after I'm done with the build on my '96 its going to be a dedicated track rat.... I'm going to need a daily driver, I really hope they don't quit making the Ranger

dadevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Mine gets 18 on the highway, as good if not better than most 4.0 trucks, and I can do more than tug a small trailer of brush to the dump as well.

A base Ranger also lists for about the same as a base F-150, but the 4.2 (to be discontinued next year) has more power than a 4.0 Ranger, which is much more expensive. I don't know how the 2 valve 4.6 that will the base engine next year will effect that though.
on my 2008 fx4 with 4.0l 5 spd and 4wd i get 17 mgp city and up to 25 mpg highway. what do you think about that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals