• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dancing over bumps

npresley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
My 1998 Mazda B2500 has new lower ball joints (Moog) and new Fab-tech stock height shocks at all four corners. Whenever I go over a transition in pavement (like bridge to pavement or vice versa) on the highway the truck wants to dance, almost like a fish tail. Is this common, is there a suspension part I need to replace, such as the upper ball joints. The steering seems tight, so I don't think the tie rods are in bad shape. Any suggests are welcome, thanks.
-Nathan

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Is it the front or the rear sliding around on you? The rear of an unloaed truck can do that are there are several ways to "fix" it. If your front is doing it, wow. Are you sure the shocks are stock length cause they could be bottoming out. I would check under the truck and make sure nothing loks like it is getting rubbed the wrong way or limiting travel.

James

npresley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I really noticed it when I had a transmission loaded in the back. I noticed it again when I had my lawn mower back there. I can put my hands on the front tires at 3 & 9 - no movement, at 12 & 6 I do see some movement. What I have observed as far as movement is at the hub. The ball joints don't move.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
maybe your bearing are shot then. Pull off the dust caps and check them. My truck seems to need tightened ever so slightly every 6-12 months. I just installed new ones last year around this time and have started to check them on a regular basis. Just pull the caps off and when you are moving the tire see if the movement is there. If you have not replaced the bearing yet, you should at least pull them and repack them if they are in good shape. Other wise install new one.

James

npresley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I was going to have them replaced soon. Would that cause the truck to behave in the manner it does when going over bumps and pavement transitions?

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if it could be the soul cause but it can't be helping. You can do it yourself, it really isn't that hard. Just get one of the repair books for your truck and have at it. I had help the first time I did it and found it to be very easy. Check your rotors carefully before replacing the bearings, if they need replaced now would be the time.

Have you taken it any where yet to be looked at? Some places will look at it for you for free or next to nothing.

James

npresley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
No, I haven't had anyone look at it yet. Would there be anything in the rear axle that would cause problems?

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
There are bearing back there too but they don't go bad very often. If your bushing are in bad shape, they can cause all kinds of problems. Shocks are another things but you've already replaced those. If they are too stiff though, your ride will be effected in a bad way.

James

npresley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Other than looking for motion and seeing if the bushing aren't "oozing" out, what should I look for when checking the bushings?

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
large cracks and general decay. I know all of mine need to be replace and will hopefully start that process next year. Check your body mounts while you are at it, mine look like they should be on a truck twice its age.

James

npresley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
check the bearings - no problem there. I did notice that the lug torque is specified at 100lbs. I have been putting them at 86lbs. That may make a difference.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
check the bearings - no problem there. I did notice that the lug torque is specified at 100lbs. I have been putting them at 86lbs. That may make a difference.

I doubt that will change anything at all, generally 85 - 105 will be good as far as im concerned. As long as they were all tight on there when you took them off they were probably on there good enough.
The only problems you would have with wheel torque are if the lugs were really loose the the tire was wobling around on the studs. But you would notice that when the tire comes off on the highway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals