• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What years are direct swapable

mr71transam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1993 Standard Cab XLT ranger. What I would like to know is what year audio systems are a direct swap. My ranger has a Factory AM/FM Cassette unit and I want swap with a Factory AM/FM CD Unit. Anyone have such a unit?

Last edited:

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
That depends. Is your AM/FM Cassette a premium model, if so there is NO AM/FM available for it.

Now if its the standard model (more than likely it is) then no problem. You can use '92, '93, and '94 model radios from Rangers. Basically if it looks similar to your factory radio (I'm assuming its not a premium model), it will work. The only exceptions that I am aware of would be AM/FM Cassette models from Mustangs or Aerostars.

But all AM/FM should be OK as long as it looks similar to yours (i e no knobs)

mr71transam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ranger SVO. I edited my Question From "Factory AM/FM Unit" to "Factory AM/FM CD Unit". Do you know what year Ford came out with an AM/FM CD Unit and can I swap them with my "Factory AM/FM Cassette unit"? I know I can always go to Best Buy and get an AM/FM CD Unit, but I want to keep my Ford, ALL FORD if possible.

sstoli123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a new cd player from a 2003 for my 96. I found a website that sells an adapter wire to make it work, they were very helpfull for me. The site is www.replacementradios.com. Hope this helps,
Steve

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ranger SVO. I edited my Question From "Factory AM/FM Unit" to "Factory AM/FM CD Unit". Do you know what year Ford came out with an AM/FM CD Unit and can I swap them with my "Factory AM/FM Cassette unit"? I know I can always go to Best Buy and get an AM/FM CD Unit, but I want to keep my Ford, ALL FORD if possible.
I would go aftermarket, but thats not answering your question. All SINGLE DIN Ford AM/FM CD's are from the PAC/CDR family. Now thats probably bad for you. Here is why

All of the PAC/CDR required an amp. NO Exceptions. Now if you really wanna keep it Ford (still not sure why) you can pirate an amp from any Mustang, the amp is located under the passenger seat. Make sure you get the gray cable that goes from the radio to the amp (this is the input cable). Also get the output/power plug for the amp. You will need to run wires from the out put plug to each speaker.

Good luck finding a Ranger with an amp and wiring, they are hard to find.

I bought my 93 Ranger in 95, and it had a Factory CD in it. It was not factory, who ever did it made a cable so that everything plugged into the factory harness.

Seriously go aftermarket, its less work and it will sound better. But if your interested I might still have the cable, I'll post a pic if you want to see it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals