• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Roll on bedliner?

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone use that cheaper roll on bedliner? I dont want to pay for line-x or others of that sort, but i have seen the ones you can buy in a can and roll on yourself. anyone have any kinds of results with it?

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
It ain't worth a crap. I put some on the floor of my jeep and it did not stay on too good or long. You can't beat the spray on stuff, but you do pay for it out the wazoo. It should last a long time though.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
yea i dont have $600 to throw into the bed of my truck, im just tryin to find a cheaper alternative for the time being

Harris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I used that $60 stuff from AutoZone. It went on pretty easily (after all the sanding and cleaning) but began to fade pretty fast. My truck bed didn't get used very much, but I really don't think it would hold up to much use, much less abuse. Just make sure you put some sand in the mix otherwise it's super slick. Mine actually looked good for a while, though.

Oh yeah, make sure the cat is in the house while the stuff is setting up...Cat tracks in your new bedliner suck, but the black tracks on the cab, smeared down the windshield, and across the hood can really cause a lot of distress...

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
yea i dont have $600 to throw into the bed of my truck, im just tryin to find a cheaper alternative for the time being
$600?! I got my spray-in liner done professionally for $375. I haven't really hauled much in the bed, but it feels very tough and still looks like new after about 6 months of having it.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've heard Herculiner is pretty decent but I don't know from experience. I would also use the UV protectant to keep it glossy looking. You can check out their website and go from there.

I would'nt mind trying it. It's about $100. Cheaper when compared to the others.

Allen

cereal83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I called this morning for Line-X and it's $480 (canadian) You have to look at it this way. A plastic bedliner is about $400 (Canadian) so spending the extra $100 and have a lifetime warranty is more then worth it. You also won't have to worry about Line-x or Rhino liner getting up and flying out of the back of your truck

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i used herculiner and it looked real good at first, but it faded with a summer, there is suppose to be a uv treater that i figured was b.s., perhaps if i tried it i would have had better results. it seemed to hold up fairly well, doesnt compare to the linex however.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

$600? Mine was only $350 for the Range (assuming you are working on a Range). And it was Line-X.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
ive got a gallon of that dupli truck bed coating.. i sprayed my bumpers an rockers.. for the 50 bucks iam happy with it.. just make sure you prep it.. but you have to think of it this way.. the do it yourself bedliners are like less than 1/8 thick where the professional ones are 1/8- 1/4 thick..

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
ive got a gallon of that dupli truck bed coating.. i sprayed my bumpers an rockers.. for the 50 bucks iam happy with it.. just make sure you prep it.. but you have to think of it this way.. the do it yourself bedliners are like less than 1/8 thick where the professional ones are 1/8- 1/4 thick..
i'm only tryin to go the cheaper way because:
1: i dont have the cha ching to get it professionally done
2: im doin it because im tryin to make my truck look a little better, i dont haul much back there
3: i dont have the cha ching to get it professionally done lol

but i do know when i get a new truck its line-x......but not right now

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you visit the Herculiner website it has a demonstration from the show trucks on it. There's also another demonstaration from an older show called "shadetree mechanic". It clearly states that you NEED to apply two coats for it to properly adhere and work.

I was thinking of applying three coats if I did mine and then using the UV protection to keep it looking good. I'm pretty sure it would be a lot thicker then an 1/8".

Allen

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I used the Herculiner 6' kit, and ran two coats. It did fade a little bit over the summer, but it's held up really well. It has a few digs in it from metal sliding around and hauling my bike, etc, but I would recommend it.

I think most people complain about the DIY liners because they suck at prepping the bed. Clean it out and use the acetone/MEK before you roll it on.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
If you visit the Herculiner website it has a demonstration from the show trucks on it. There's also another demonstaration from an older show called "shadetree mechanic". It clearly states that you NEED to apply two coats for it to properly adhere and work.

I was thinking of applying three coats if I did mine and then using the UV protection to keep it looking good. I'm pretty sure it would be a lot thicker then an 1/8".

Allen
i remember watchin shadetree mechanic when i was a wee lad haha. ill have to check them out

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
ive heard that durabak roll on liner works really well. a girl used it on the whole exterior on her full size jeep on www.ifsja.org

its $120 a gallon with UV protection (80 w/o) and it rolls on to an 1/8 of an inch with 2 coats which a gallon will do, i think thats what i'm going to go with.

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/automotive.htm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals