• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Simple Front Light Bar

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Walking around my local Ace Hardware I stumbled upon the stainless steel bathroom grab bars that are usually in commercial bathrooms and sometimes homes. The first thing that popped into my head was 'hey, that kinda looks like a light bar'. So I bought the 24 inch grab bar and took it home to start fabricating.

A little grinding, eye balling, welding, and flash burn later I had my light bar.

The picture of it is on my old truck, when I first got the idea. It still has the flanges on it in the picture but they are gone now, as you can see in the other pictures.

Easy steps:

1. Grind welds of flanges til you can remove both flanges,
2. Weld a 5/8 washer onto an inch and a half bolt, also 5/8.
3. Grind down outside of washer until it fits snug inside the end of pipe.
4. Eyeball the bolts so they are coming out of the pipe straight and tack in place.
5. Double check bolts and if they're straight weld em on!
6. Viola! A bolt on light bar!

Its not the best but its unique, to say the least!

Let me know whatcha think of the idea, Ill get pictures posted of it as soon as I Kentucky chrome it and mount it!

Thanks all

Last edited:

Ranger beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Very nice. Gives me an idea for mine:icon_idea:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
So.....where are the lights and how are you going to mount them?? It does not sit up very high, are you using driving lights for it? 6 inch lights won't look good on that small of a bar...but a good idea anyway.

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The lights will be here sometime after the next check is. And I think Ill go with 4" lights on it since 6" would look absolutely ridiculous!

It wasnt a well thought out plan, just kinda threw it all together. It sits really close to the grill so there is no room to add tabs like I originally planned. So im just going to drill through the tube and mount straight through it I think. Instead of bolting it on I may just make a small bracket and weld it straight to the back of the tube so there is no bolt sticking out the bottom.

This thing wasnt really planned, so we'll see where it goes I guess!

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Oh, and here it is after I mounted it on my truck earlier today

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I was just thinking about how to add the lights. I bought some off road light mounts for round tubing on Ebay about a month ago. You can add lights to the front or the rear or my Yakima cross bars. They have a few different sizes in diameter. Measure your bar and go to Ebay and look up the off road light mount kits. If I can find that link I will post it here for you.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Dang, thats pretty slick. Ill meassure my bar up and see if it'll work. Thanks for the info

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I love it, something from nothing, repurposed stuff is awesome and it fits the front bumper like it was made for it. If you dont have room you may consider cutting the grill a little bit to recess/sink the lights into it.

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Since the lights arent technically necessary I wouldnt wanna cut my grille to fit them, good thought though.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Since the lights arent technically necessary I wouldnt wanna cut my grille to fit them, good thought though.
No!! Don't cut the grill. With the tabs I led you to on Ebay you can mount the lights forward by putting the tab mount outwards and they will look great!!! Find somebody to let you try a light first and see what I mean. You will be happy and you won't ruin the looks of that nice looking truck, Bro.

Here is something I made last year to mount on my winch bumper for my Suzuki Samurai project and never have used yet. I made it to either be welded on or it can be bolted one (drilling along the square mount area at the bottom of the bar. This is for sale. I am going to advertise it on this site or Ebay soon. I need to find a box for it to fit in first and get it boxed up and ready to ship.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Wait so you have a 98 and a newer ranger? Cause your front lights are diff in both picks.

It looks too cheap compared to how nice your truck looks. It guess it workable a mount but, your truck deserves better!

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I had a 2000 and then sold it and got a 2002. I thought 98+ was when alot of the changes started to happen with the ranger going to newer designs, hence why it was so much more expensive to do things to my 2000 than it would have been a 97 or older.

But I agree, it is a very cheap bar. It was just something I threw together one night when I didnt have much else to do. I definitely plan to spice it up some more once I decide what I want to do. I have a Custom bumper design in mind that I have never seen anything even close to it before. So we'll see what this summer brings!

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Oh, and to clarify. The picture of the red truck was my 2000, which i had when i first thought of the light bar. And the other pictures are my 2002 when i actually got it built and installed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals