• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC mounting bracket

scottfridrich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
89 Ranger, 2.9 L with factory air, finally have stripped the square hole in the bracket which allows you to tighten drive belt. Other than the obvious locate and install another bracket with intact square hole, anyone come up with another fix? I thought about perhaps a wheel lug with lug nut and fastened through the useless hole, then you might be able to get a socket on it?

Thanks for any suggestions, may have to check the salvage yards for one with intact hole.

Scott

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's just a hunk of steel. You can, for instance, weld a nut on it. You could take a file and expand the hole to 3/4 inch.

But most importantly, you can stop overtightening your drivebelts. How the HECK can you round that off without killing your compressor almost instantly? Spec is 1/4-1/2 inch deflection in the drivebelt. That's it. You can ALMOST do that without using the square hole (though it's rather inconvenient). With a 1/2 inch breaker bar, it takes next to no force.

scottfridrich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
MAKG,
Thanks for the input. Vehicle is 19 years old and I am aware of the deflection specs. I was thinking about this and perhaps I am not loosening all the proper fasteners as it takes quite an effort to get it to spec. I am 6'3" and 260 pounds so it is not a matter of strength. I probably loosened at least seven fasteners, usually there is one pivet bolt and one tightening bolt. Original factory compressor, still R-12 and working great. So while I have not managed to kill off the compressor, killed off the mounting bracket. I have read that too tight or too loose is bad for PS pumps, alternators, and AC compressors. Thanks for your time.

Scott

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you're missing a bolt then.

I could almost (not quite) get the compressor drivebelt in spec with my bare hands when I had a 2.9L.

If I remember right, there is a pivot bolt and a lock-bolt, front and rear.

scottfridrich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
MAKG,

Thanks for the information. Today rechecked my "work" and found on the backside of compressor a lock bolt, lower down than the one I thought, loosened that and as you said, moves pretty easy. Feel like an idiot, you would laugh if you knew I considered using a cheater bar with tha 1/2 inch breaker, no wonder you cautioned me about overtightening the belt. I ended up buying a one inch long bolt, half inch diameter, then a nylon locking nut and tightened that down snug. Then used a 3/4 inch combo wrench to tension. Thanks for your time, you put me on the right track. It hit me after I read your response I had to be missing a bolt. Next time I will probably just tighten by hand.

Scott

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals