• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2nd Gen Custom front bumper dimensions and materials to use?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, i need a bit of help with figuring out what to tell the guy to make. lol I guess the cheapest stock bumper i can get in town here is close to 300 (figure that one out lol), so i am going to see about getting someone to make me a bumper in town here. I dont know how to do it myself and want it done correctly anyways lol.

So does anyone happen to know the dimensions i will need to make a good solid bumper? What materials to use? Designs? I just want it to be more solid and have a better approach angel than stock.

Thanks, any info or opinions are appreciated :)

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Search feature... go through the bumpers thread.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Search feature... go through the bumpers thread.
i did search a bit. Maybe i was keying in the wrong terms, but nothing really came up. Sorry.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can send you a cad file of mine...

If you hit the thread in my sig, you can see what it looks like....

whissiswheelin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My first bumper was made out of 10 gauge (1/8"ish) and was strong enough to blaze my own trail but the first time i push a friend outta the mud I put a small dent in it.
I pieced it together from about 11 pieces while it was on my truck. no rework involved.(9 hours work straight)

the next one I formed a single piece of 10"W x 12'L x 3/16"T checker plate to get the look I wanted then cut it into 5 pieces to wrap the corners, after welding it together on the table I fit up to my truck and turned out I made it to tight to the grill and had to add some plate along the top to keep it away. (5-6 hours)

Both bumpers I used 1" thick tow points that went straight through to the frame rails (30.25" apart)

Edit: On the second bumper after I moved it away from the grill 6" I had to extend the tow points as well I used 3/8" plate and a lot of weld to tie it into the 1".

If I remember correctly my truck is about 64.5" wide. My first bumper was 6" ahead of the grill and the second around 9"(maybe a little too much)

Start by making a template of the tow points (bolt layout) and work from there, give the fabricator a detailed picture of what you want and hope that when you put it on your truck that it fits.

Last edited:

lepp1892

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This mine. It is made from 2x3 .25 wall tube.

whissiswheelin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
WOW! Thats a tank Bumper! ^

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can send you a cad file of mine...

If you hit the thread in my sig, you can see what it looks like....
Hey, nice bumper :icon_thumby: I cant remember how CAD worked (only used it a bit in a school class), will that have the measurements and such for the frame mounts and such? I would like to get something like your bumper, but i want it as flush as possible with the grill (maybe a bit farther out to protect it more), and no push bar kinda thing like you have. I would go with pretty much exactly what you have done, but im kind of going for a unique look with the billet grill and clear corners that i have. I definitely can imagine having a bumper exactly like yours looking odd with the grill :p

Plus, i have always liked the way the stock bumper was pretty much right flush with the front of the hood. Makes it easy to know where you are :p I know how to drive, dont get me wrong, but i thought it was cool :p

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This mine. It is made from 2x3 .25 wall tube.
I like your bumper as well, looks beasty. But again, i kind of need a more flush design if thats even possible to fab up correctly lol. I dont need a winch on it or anything, but i will want tow points for obvious reasons :p

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals