• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ok... I know I'll probably be shunned for this...

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've held out, and I hate to post this here... but the GM forums SUCK, and I wouldn't expect to find anything helpful there. You all seem a lot more knowledgeable. Anyway, I'm totally kicking myself now for not taking *someones* advice here (What's up LBR, lol). I bought a 92 Jimmy, and it's been a f**king nightmare. Here's what I have if anyone can help me, I would so appreciate it.
The thing runs a little hot on the highway, about 215 I'd guess from the gauge.
It has a newer radiator, thermostat, O2 sensor and TBI.
I'm getting a service engine error about fuel too lean.
Last night, on the highway, it lost power and started making a noise I can only describe as sounding like popcorn popping, (quick little pops in rapid succession) which seemed to come from behind the engine.) Once I got off the highway, power returned and it seemed to run okay...
I'mma check the plugs / wires today. I've read it could be the catalytic converter? I'm hoping it's all one problem tied to the lean fuel, but I don't even know how to begin troubleshooting that. Help me get this POS running so I can get it off my hands, please?! This will be my first and last GM purchase.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
you might post this in non rbv forum to get more exposure.sorry i can't help with the problem.

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Aighty. I posted it there too. I only posted here because this seems to be a livelier forum... And I thought I'd give LBR a chance to say "Told ya so!" Lol.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Well, It over heats on the highway, but not in town? Are we working with thw 2.8 or 4.3? Is it eating coolant? What about the fan and clutch? Or is the fan electric? I'd check and see if they are working correctly and not damaged. A clogged cat would choke the truck out. Even though this is a GM, it still uses the basic automotive technology. There is no reason we can't help him.......so that he can sell the heep and get a Ranger:icon_thumby:

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's what I'm talking about! Thank you. And I have a Ranger, just needs a new tranny.

4.3 throttle body injection, automatic, 4x4.
It heats up in city or highway driving, sometimes blasting the heater helps, sometimes not. It hasn't gone into the red, it just runs a little warm for my comfort. No coolant leaks, I checked the fan (clutch) after it heated up and it seemed to be running strong (I couldn't stop it with a piece of cardboard). I have a new thermostat to try putting in, I thought that would be a cheap thing to try first. The coolant looks clean from the top and overflow, hard to tell what might be lurking in the engine though I guess. What concerns me is the lean fuel warning and what the thing did last night, I didn't care for the popcorn popper noise / loss of power, at all. Also... I know this might be bad. It has a rubber stopper type cap for the oil fill, the thing was all eaten up with pieces missing. I replaced it yesterday, but I'm worried if some of it might have fell in...

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet....You should get that Ranger a tranny!!

But back to the other.... I heard somewhere that the 4.3 did have a fuel delivery problem, which caused a lean condition. But before we get into that, how long has it been since the air filter or fuel filter has been replaced?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Also make sure you have no vacuum leaks (any hissing sounds?). Could also be a fuel pump not running at full power. Any exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor? This could make it read lean.

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel filter... not sure. I just bought the thing a week ago.
Air filter looks pretty good... I haven't noticed any hissing sounds, but I'll keep an ear out.
It has a newer exhaust on it, maybe two years old. I haven't noticed any peculiar smells.
Just pulled a spark plug that was easy to get to, it looked alright, rusty on the outside, but it didn't look fouled.
I'm going to do another reading on the computer and see if anything new came up, then maybe take it for a drive and see if it does the same thing it did last night.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Don't just look at an airfilter. It could be contaminated with things you can't see. Weigh a new one vs. an old one. You'll see a difference. I'd buy a new one. $5 for a Wicks brand, or something. Fram and K&N suck.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The best thing you could do is get rid of it!
That said, G.M. throttle bodies are infamous for blowing out the base gasket. You need to check that carefully for leaks. The most likely cause for the lean code is a plugged fuel filter(if the base gasket isn't leaking). You also need to do a careful inspection of the vacuum lines.
The 90s G.M.s normally run around 210 deg f. If it is not losing antifreeze or boiling when you shut it off then it is probably fine.
Also, go out in the morning or after it has been sitting long enough to be cold and bonk the side of the converter with your hand or a rubber mallet. If it rattles, you need it replaced.

Last edited:

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
my mother had the same problem with her old van with the same engine. turned out to be the water pump. the aluminum blades in the pump corroded (doesn't like something in the coolant). I put a new pump in and the problem went away. Hope that helps a little bit.

oh and for what its worth, my old pontiac sunfire did the same exact thing, same fix too.

good luck

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
my mother had the same problem with her old van with the same engine. turned out to be the water pump. the aluminum blades in the pump corroded (doesn't like something in the coolant). I put a new pump in and the problem went away. Hope that helps a little bit.

oh and for what its worth, my old pontiac sunfire did the same exact thing, same fix too.

good luck
Coolant after a while loses it's additives and actually becomes corrosive. Esp. to aluminum.

That TB gasket sounds like a real good place to start Mutant Pony

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I hate to sound gloating and say I told you so. I would hate to think that you'd actually expect me to act childish like that, lol.

Oh, yea, GM's often used Dex-Cool antifreeze... aka Death-Cool because it was highly corrosive (Brilliant!)

Probably wouldn't hurt to throw a cheap paper air filter in. I'd really replace the fuel filter though, one tank of bad gas can plug one of those up pretty good.

I've heard that one way to help look for vac leaks is to spray carb cleaner around vac lines while it's running. If a vac line is leaking, it will suck the carb cleaner in and you'll hear the engine change tone.

Check the cat...if it rattles, definitely replace, but actually cats are only supposed to be good for something like 60-80k miles from what I understand.

Rapid popcorn popping sounds like some sort of misfire/backfire to me.

GM seems to often make decent cars... but SUV's and trucks, they fall flat on their face.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Coolant after a while loses it's additives and actually becomes corrosive. Esp. to aluminum.
Dex-cool (which is used by a large number of GM vehicles) is corrosive right out of the bottle.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Well, It over heats on the highway, but not in town? Are we working with thw 2.8 or 4.3? Is it eating coolant? What about the fan and clutch? Or is the fan electric? I'd check and see if they are working correctly and not damaged. A clogged cat would choke the truck out. Even though this is a GM, it still uses the basic automotive technology. There is no reason we can't help him.......so that he can sell the heep and get a Ranger:icon_thumby:
i meant i couldn't help because i don't know what it is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals