• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

manual steering pitman arm

4bangeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey there im new to TRS and found it when i was looking for a pitman arm. this is the problem im having and it would help alot if someone knew how to fix this. i changed my power steering to a manual steering box. i have a manual stearing box & pitman arm from a 1986 ranger. when i hooked it up now one wheel is straight and the other wheel will be turning a little.here are my questions. is there diffrent pittman arms for diffrent years? or do i need a diffrent drag steering? or just need it alined

thanks nick

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
An alignment will do it. If your steering linkage is nearly level with the truck parked and the steering straight ahead, the Pitman arm is fine.

Manual steering Pitman arms are straight; power steering has a drop (1.5 inches, I think). I suspect this accounts for differences in the position of the Pitman shaft.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
do you have a picture of your pitman arm? How about a center to center measurement from the sector shaft to the center hole? Thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It's 2WD arms that are straight, 4WD ones drop down.

4bangeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i got it.

what i did is just gave an alignment and it drives stright too i can take the hands off the wheel and it will still drive straight. MAKG the manual steering has a drop of about an 1.5 and the p/s is straight. just had them floped

thanks alot guys

tburch1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Manual steering pitman arm

Anyone know where I can get a manual steering pitman arm? I switched the p/s box for manual but the gear coming down out of the manual box is too small and just spins inside the pitman arm gear.

I've checked several auto parts stores and they were absolutely no help.

John Smith

Reaction score
best wishes in your search..

Anyone know where I can get a manual steering pitman arm? I switched the p/s box for manual but the gear coming down out of the manual box is too small and just spins inside the pitman arm gear.

I've checked several auto parts stores and they were absolutely no help.
I did the same swap and the reasearch seemed to indicate that the manual steering pitman arm is not usable on anything but a manual steering box..you may have to find another complete unit... seriously..

If you can find an OEM part number for one..I would search http://www.rearcounter.com/

I have found most everything i have needed thru this search engine..NOS parts

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals