• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Expo Seats In Ranger

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, as i searched tirelessly as others have; figured id put a little more information down then "splice wires". So here it is:

This is a really easy thing to do, you just need basic splicing tools, some wire generally 14 gauge, just dont go thinner then the cable your splicing and your fine, adding thicker wont hurt. Some wire connectors, 1-1 and 2-1. 1-1 wire connector for lengthening cables, and 2-1 for splicing passenger seat into drivers. if you want the memory function from your seats, youll have to figure that out yourself.

I started by attaching cables to pos and negative battery terminals, I was hoping to splice into a "hot" wire somewhere in cab but i didnt wanna wait to figure which one was hot.

Im not drilling or tearing apart dash to run this cable so this is how I did it. Ill try to put pictures into path order.

Hope this helps someone with an easy install, it explains basic installation. Obviously my wires are not the cleanest and i will clean them up now that i have it working.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i know my 2-1 connecters are pink... only color stupid autozone had... ugh...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I don't understand why people do this.

Electric seats are "adjustable" but once you find that "Ideal position" how much does anyone adjust them?

And a power seat on the passenger side in a supercab basically eliminates "supercab area" access...

But if it makes you happy...

AD

Sighman

04/2011 & 04/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did mine because I'm not the only person that drives the truck!!!!

2001FORDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
6cy
Transmission
Manual
Their is nothing wrong with having power seats, since i clean my ex cab, i have to always adjust them, and when i'm on certain trips, i like to sit differently sometimes, especially when i'm relax at the water, i tend to recline backward and take a nap, as for the power seat in the passenger side, I think it's fine to have a adjustable one, better ways to spread your girls legs wide open in a recline position :) don't ask me how i know, i'm just a old fart

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
You need to put a fuse on the wire coming off the positive side of the battery. Either buy an inline fuse holder, or splice in (2) female terminal connectors and stick a blade type fuse in them to complete the connection. Especially since you're running the wire through your door opening. You run the risk of burning your truck to the ground from a short.

Even the factory puts a fusible link on the main wire coming off the battery.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
thank you for the fuse tip. i know this was on my seat i believe its an inline fuse and i was gonna splice it into hot cable and attach under seat but i was unsure what it was.

and power seats are just a convenience i like to have, i sit higher as they are bigger seats, i can sit lower or higher as i choose i want to at that time. I can never find a perfect spot for any seats, i always find myself adjusting manual or power seats. and leather to me is more comfortable. people complain of them being cold or hot during winter or summer, but they are my seats and others opinions of liking disliking dont matter to me. this was only meant as a picture reference for wiring, any fixes needed as far as wire running i will clean it up later. i will run that inline fuse very soon before figuring out how i want end wiring to look. Again, thank you for any tips.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely put a fuse on there. I ran my wires right through the firewall.. there's 2 or 3 pre-existing holes right by your feet.

AlanD, there's a lot more features and adjustments that I can do with my power seat, then with my plain jane ranger seat. I put a regular passengers seat in for the same reason as what you said though, but I don't have jump seats anyway so it doesn't matter regardless.

Hell, if I wanted to I could go a couple years newer than my seats and get lumbar too.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

is this the built in inline fuse? i still have both for seats. i was having trouble uploading to photobucket so took me a min or pic would of been in last post.
and like an idiot after a month of not smoking, im back at it again... hey, smoke a pack a day and tell me you can run 8 miles lol.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely put a fuse on there. I ran my wires right through the firewall.. there's 2 or 3 pre-existing holes right by your feet.
I was hoping for an incabin hot/cold wire but guess ill have to run it to battery. i was hoping to jump on another and maybe up the fuse in fuse box from like if it was a 15 to a 30.

stiluv

01/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.oh face oh oh oh
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
dont think thats a fuse. yellow connectors are typically for air bag systems or srs systems. that is if its an oem piece

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
yes its oem, i didnt know wtf it was for.. lol so i didnt connect it. air bag... wouldnt that only be attached to seat if i had side impact airbags in my seat?? there should be an srs sticker on side of seat if one is installed shouldnt it.
so much for a heres some info for people this is turning into more of a hey your doing it wrong thread haha...ugh...

stiluv

01/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.oh face oh oh oh
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
its mostlikely a shut off switch to kill the airbags if the seat is to far forward so it wont knock the heads off of old ledies and such.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ahh an old lady killer! Got a new nickname for that part now haha.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
By the way, ford wouldn't have used an inline fuse IIRC.. they would have just ran it to the fuse block.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals