• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

K&N air charger kit - OBD code issues

metalgear138

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I recently installed a K&N air charger kit on my 2006 3.0 V6 Ranger. I keep getting a Check Engine Light with codes 171 and 174 indicating that both O2 sensors are reading a lean mixture. I erase the codes, and the light kicks on again after a couple hours of driving. Have any of you guys experienced anything similar? I had a K&N air charger kit on a 2001 Ranger and never had this issue; for some reason my '06 Ranger just doesnt like this kit!

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You have any pictures of the kit?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The K&N kit disrupts the airflow across the MAF sensor, causing inaccuracy in measuring actual airflow. The ONLY advantage to the K&N kit is a lighter wallet! Install the OEM intake/air filter, reset the PCM, and you won't have any more trouble!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya know it's funny....my 98 3.0 has the K&N kit.....no codes, but I'd hate to find out it has affected the way it runs.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ya know it's funny....my 98 3.0 has the K&N kit.....no codes, but I'd hate to find out it has affected the way it runs.
Ya know....the MAF sensor on a 98 is entirely different that the MAF sensor on a 06!!

The only thing the K&N will pass more than the OEM filter is dirt and oil.......

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe it makes a difference, maybe not.....

BTW, it was on the truck when I got it.

Where does the stock 98 airbox draw in air? the fenderwell?

Maybe I'll build a test box

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe it makes a difference, maybe not.....

BTW, it was on the truck when I got it.

Where does the stock 98 airbox draw in air? the fenderwell?

Maybe I'll build a test box
The stock airbox draws in cold air right behind the grill. A true CAI!!!

metalgear138

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
The K&N kit disrupts the airflow across the MAF sensor, causing inaccuracy in measuring actual airflow. The ONLY advantage to the K&N kit is a lighter wallet! Install the OEM intake/air filter, reset the PCM, and you won't have any more trouble!
Thanks for your biased opinion! Although reinstalling the OEM intake would solve the problem, it doesn't solve my problem. I have had K&N products on a number of vehicles I have owned and this is the first time I have run across this problem. The kit has its advantages, and I prefer it over the restrictive OEM intake. Actually the kit does not disrupt the airflow, it allows more unrestricted air across the sensor. The ECM should calibrate air/fuel ration accordingly to the increase in air volume, but in my case obviously not.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
How do you know he is biased? Every vehicle is different.

I doubt very seriously that the stock intake pipe is a restriction compared to the K&N part.

I would be more willing to bet the silencer in the airbox is, but even that probably isn't much.

For most vehicles, all I see for value in K&N is the reusability. Like I said, my 98 came with it.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your biased opinion! Although reinstalling the OEM intake would solve the problem, it doesn't solve my problem. I have had K&N products on a number of vehicles I have owned and this is the first time I have run across this problem. The kit has its advantages, and I prefer it over the restrictive OEM intake. Actually the kit does not disrupt the airflow, it allows more unrestricted air across the sensor. The ECM should calibrate air/fuel ration accordingly to the increase in air volume, but in my case obviously not.
Actually YOU ARE WRONG!!!

Try taking the OEM intake and air filter and see if you measure any vacuum between the throttle body and air filter at high RPM, and WOT. If it is restrictive, you should measure some vacuum!! The OEM intake and filter are capable of flowing much more air than the engine will pull! You could
use a sewer pipe for an intake, and you wouldn't get any more air flow than the OEM!!

With the larger diameter of the K&N kit, the velocity of the air is reduced which throws off the flow measurement accuracy of the new MAF sensors.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I too have a K&N kit, (left over from another vehicle I had) and the ONLY thing it did for my engine was make it sound different. I am gonna be pullin the dumb thing back off and putting the factory intake back in.

As far as your problem goes though, the only thing I can suggest is to unhook the battery and let it sit for a few minutes. hook the battery back up and try driving it again. That was how I got rid of my check engine light.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Metal,

oh yea for what it is worth, most of the guys on here that offer us any help/info, have probably forgotten more about these trucks than you and I will ever know.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
does they same thing go for 93's? i mean would putting in a kit be worthless and not add hp?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals