• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

put in ball joints and steering is stiff??????

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just did my ball joints on both sides of my 88 4x4 ranger evey thing went nice and easy, buy now my steering is stiffer then be for i did them, it called for 90 pounds, did every thing to specs just dont now if its bad or not , i dont want it to blow my steering pump, any one have this prob to or should it be like this untill they get worked in????????????? thanks:yahoo::no2:

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any One, Is This Normall When You Do Ball Joints?

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
never mind i over tightend the lower ball joints,[ ****]

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That would do it.

In general, you can expect binding on Dana 28 (no pinch bolt) balljoints if you don't follow the instructions to the letter. The reason is that you can permanently push the two balljoints together or apart. Dana 35s are much more forgiving due to the pinch bolt.

Joshs93four-oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/245CID
Transmission
Manual
All said so far is possible...I've done preobably 200+ ball joint replacements on ford trucks in the past 3 years...about 50 percent of them have increased steering tightness, memory steer etc. after replacement. The ball joints will loosen up after some time. Make sure your camber/caster sleeves are in all the way. Also make sure that the new ball joints are pressed in all the way. You should have an alignment done at a shop that knows how to adjust the camber/caster with aftermarket sleeves-good luck on that. As far as overtightening the ball joint castle nuts my opinion I cant see that causing tight steering...It would gall the threads on the ball joint studs before pulling the stud into the taper farther than it should. I would say see a shop for an alignment and drive it and see if they loosen up. If you vehicle had excessive negative camber(inward lean at the top of the front wheels) and GOOD toe readings BEFORE you replaced the ball joints then it almost certainly has excessive toe-in now, which will also cause hard steering/memory steer easpecially in ford i-beam setups. Not trying to step on anyones toes here, just have nothing better to do than think and type and when you do 5 or more alignments a day you tend to see trends...Josh
________
FORD MOTOR COMPANY HISTORY

Last edited:

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the lower ball joints were way to tight, they should have been at 40 puonds, i had them at 100, the same as the top, so this morning i tore it all back down and loosend evey thing back up and did the lowers at 40 pbs and uppers at 100pbs and its back to normal. i should have nown when i could barly turn the nuckle, any way its all fixed now, thanks for all your thoughts guys.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I replace balljoints daily on all sorts of makes and models at my shop and have never once used a torque wrench on a castle nut on a balljoint, I just run em up with the 1/2" impact and put the cotter pin in. Never had a come back for tight steering yet.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dident think it would matter, the steering wheel would want to stay turned when i was comeing out of a corner, it sucked im glad i went back in there to put every thing at the right tork settins.. the power steering pump wouldent have lasted long,..

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The power steering pump would have been fine.

But it's hard (and exhausting) to drive a truck when steering is binding. It also would wear the balljoints quickly until they loosened up, which will shorten their lives.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals