• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

axle housing

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK so this probably belongs in the axle thread BUT I want answers from people with fabrication experience so here goes.
just going to throw some thoughts I have out there

My backyard 8.8 swap is wearing both rear tires heavily on the inside = the housing is bent with the pumpkin low and the tubes are cuving upwards to some degree?

This is probably caused by welding with too much heat @ the perches and shrank the top of the tubes somewhat causing them to turn upwards?

I can possibly fix this by simply heating the bottom halves of the tubes directly opposite where it was welded at to offset the compaction caused by the welds on top?? :dunno:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What all did you weld onto it? Just spring perches?

I'd be much more inclined to think you got a bent housing from the beginning. I don't think it's possible to warp it so much your tires would wear funny just from the perch welds.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
^ +1

Unless you put 6 weld passes of spray welding per side, or your tubes are 1/8" thick, then it must've been bent beforehand.

It would've had to warp a really significant amount for it to wear your tires on the inside.

If you really wanted to check your individual tube straightness, grab a long enough straight edge and check each tube on the bottom. If it's severly warped, then your straightedge will rock on the suspected highspot(s) of your tubes.

But I'm willing to guess that if you did the same thing from hub to hub, your tubes in the center will be significantly lower than the outer most portions.

AaronC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
It's very easy to warp a housing welding a full length truss..

Almost every rear end is "pre-loaded" so to speak. I learned this the hard way when I trussed a 9". Some guys use lasers to shine through the tubes, some use other primitive techniques to ensure the housing is straight.

Before trussing a housing you need build a fixture for it and take the pre load out...

I have seen a fully truss 9" that was warped get straighted out. It took stands anchored to the floor, a come-a-long and strategic heating with a rose bud.. You can do a little straightening with a rose-bud alone..

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual

Almost every rear end is "pre-loaded" so to speak. I learned this the hard way when I trussed a 9". Some guys use lasers to shine through the tubes, some use other primitive techniques to ensure the housing is straight.

Before trussing a housing you need build a fixture for it and take the pre load out...

I have seen a fully truss 9" that was warped get straighted out. It took stands anchored to the floor, a come-a-long and strategic heating with a rose bud.. You can do a little straightening with a rose-bud alone..

Right, but he didn't weld on a full length truss, he welded on 2-3" wide spring pads, which by no means (other than explained above) would warp the axle that far, nowhere near that far.

A full truss welding should be done with extreme caution and carefull planned weld staggers to minimize distortion. If done right, it shouldn't warp the axle very much, let alone at all.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did perches and spring tabs with a stick welder, I think he did 3 passes on each weld back to back - I didn't tell him to do that btw but I wasnt there when this went down - and apparently it was too hot because the knob on the welder was jacked up or something. I know it started out straight because I checked it at the scrapyard before pulling it, I have not checked it recently but am pretty sure thats the problem(what else could it be?)
My main question is is it possible to pull those tubes back down by heating the bottoms?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I still reeeaaalllllyyyy doubt that it distorted welding on the tabs and perches.....

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet is to get another rear axle from the junk yard.
And you would probably be more likely to blow holes through the axle tube before having any chance of distorting from that small amount of welding.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i dont see those small welds warping it either, do you have any pics of the welds that we could scrutinize?

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can get some for you, it didnt blow holes or anything he just told me it was too hot for the thickness of the tube and he did three passes on each weld, I might be missing something but I don't know of anyhting else that would do that. It was straight when I pulled it and its only been through mud since then no crawling or anything that should come close to bending it, mostly its been my DD thats why I noticed the wearing on the tires. I'll try to post up some pics this afternoon after I get home

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

i used to straighten up a few 8.8's a week when i was working at bivins race cars.

its crazy how many of these things arent straight right out of the factory, we used a long solid 1.5 bar and cut the end of the axle tubes off with solid steel "bearings" inside the housing and coned shaped bushing on the housing ends.

alot of them we pulled most of the curve out with some strategic welding of the tubes to the housing

AaronC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
did perches and spring tabs with a stick welder, I think he did 3 passes on each weld back to back - I didn't tell him to do that btw but I wasnt there when this went down - and apparently it was too hot because the knob on the welder was jacked up or something. I know it started out straight because I checked it at the scrapyard before pulling it, I have not checked it recently but am pretty sure thats the problem(what else could it be?)
My main question is is it possible to pull those tubes back down by heating the bottoms?
If the axle tubes are curving towards the ground put it in the truck and set some weight on it and check it again..

If the axle tubes are pointing upwards, heat the area on the bottom of the housing where the spring perches were welded. Get it glowing and let it fully cool off. Check it.. If its still out, make a fixture and use a come a long to get the thing where it needs to be..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals