• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st Gen Speedometer Head Replacement

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Original Poster: ADSM08

Difficulty: 2 out of 10

Time to install: 45 minutes

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: This is how to swap your speedometer head and odometer/trip meter to a new instrument cluster on a first generation RBV. These instructions also apply to replacement of a defective head.
In my case this was done because I am swapping dash and engine harnesses out of an 88 with a tach as part of my engine swap and I wanted to keep my odometer as I don’t like the font of the numbers on the 88.

Tools Needed:
- Philips head screw driver
- ¼” ratchet set
- Two hands

Parts Needed:
- Speedometer head
- desired instrument cluster (optional)

---------------------------------------------------------

Prep work: Remove the instrument cluster from the vehicle. To do this, twist the two plastic knobs on the bottom of the knee bolster, and pull down. Then remove the two screws on the steering column shroud, and remove it. Next pull out the center line trim pieces (the ones in line with the head light knob, and lighter), including the ash tray. Now remove all the screw from the dash fascia. There should be four across the top, and four more across the center line of the dash. Then pull the fascia out. Next move the seat back the whole way, reach up behind the dash, and grab the collar on the speedo cable. Push down on the top of the collar and pull it away from the cluster. Now remove the 4 corner screws and flop the cluster forward. Now remove the two plugs in the back by squeezing the sides and rocking them out.
---------------------------------------------------------

Swap: Now you should have this:

Now remove the three screws around the lens of the cluster and remove the lens

Next turn the cluster over and remove the two screws near the cable drive.

The speedometer will now come out, but may need to be rocked gently as it can become stuck with time.

This is what you should have out:

Reverse the removal procedure to put it back together. Watch the little blue plastic card for the high beam indicator. Mine fell out and I almost didn’t catch it before putting it all back together.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
thought you were gonna take a nap? not get out and work on the ranger some more haha

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Used. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals