• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Conversion time for the 94

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I purchased the first in a long list of turbo conversion parts for my 94 2.3 Ranger. I bought an LA3 computer and now I'm wondering what pinout changes I'm going to have to make. If I get a turbo and turbo intake will I be able to make it run without changing anymore than the injectors and tapping an oil return port into the block? Forgive me but I'm new to the forced induction world.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
u will need to change out the pistons, best case scenario is i would find a complete motor to rebuild, easiest way todo it

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I suppose so. The 94 is still my DD until spring. At that point the 85 will be doing the daily grind. This truck will fall into the DD/ weekend warrior when I'm done with it, so it won't be some wild strip only machine with no street manners at all. The max output of this engine I'm shooting for is around 200 hp max. I figure once I change out the main and rod bearings that the bottom end can be left pretty much stock. This engine currently has 300000k on it and it doesn't burn oil, blow smoke on startup and it makes great oil pressure. Should I upgrade the oil pump to a turbo pump or will the Ranger stocker keep up with the turbo?

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
stay with your stock pump. it will do just fine. i have heard that hi-volume and hi-pressure units are dangerous because they put too much stress on the the distributor gear and if that goes, so does you motor because the oil pump wont turn.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the 94 doesn't have a distributor, but the turbo oil pump is the same pump that is currently in your 94 anyway. If you are aiming for 200HP then yes you will definitly want to put a set of forged pistons in there when you have the bottom end apart to do the bearings. The crank and rods are the same on the 94 as the turbo ones so they are more than strong enough. But if you cant have the truck down for long just find an 89-94 block to rebuild with the forged internals and the oil return and drop it in when you're ready.

The pinouts for the ECU are here in the 4-cyl forums sticky with the 87-88 t-bird and the 92-94 ranger so check through them and see what needs to be swapped to where in the ranger harness for the LA3 to work right.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking at Wiseco pistons online and there are 2 different varieties. One is for a 5.2" rod and the other is for a 5.7" rod. Any idea what rods I would have in the 94 2.3 Ranger motor?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals