• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

looking for possible engine swap info

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
hi i am going to be buying a 1986 ford f250 2wd with the 300 l6 to use for a parts truck for only $100 and i plan to take some parts off it that i need for my 1984 f150 4wd with a 351w v8 it seem to really sucks gas and i was thinking about swaping the l6 for my v8 to get better mpg and what i want to know is if its worth it or if i should just keep my v8 the v8 runs good just gets bad mpg ,thanks for any comments or ideas

mudseeker

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8 HO
Transmission
Manual
i would keep the 351 and switch over to an efi setup. the carb 300 is also a gas hog. if you are intent on the 300 i would switch over to an efi setup. you never stated what trans is in either truck. but you will need to change the bellhousing or the complete trans. hope this helps.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info mudseeker, both trucks have 4 speed manual transmissions so thats not a problem and both have carbs i dont like efi much , but if i where to swap it to efi how hard would it be to do it , also if the 300 l6 ran good and 4 speed manual transmission worked good what would you think i should expect to get for them if i sell them , i went and paid for the truck today so all i have to do is go get it when the snow melts , thanks

mudseeker

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8 HO
Transmission
Manual
the 300 inline six in good condition is worth roughly 150 to 200 bucks depending. the t18 4 speed isnt really worth anything to be honest. they were heavy, slow and are outdated. if you dont like efi, i would switch to a two bbl carb and manifold.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
thank for the info , i don't know if i will end up swaping engines its takes time and money to do and my 351 runs good over all , i just cant see that its worth it but i can't lose anything i can junk it and make back my $100

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals