• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about getting a CB...

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking about getting a CB, but am trying to figure out some details.

First, where is a good place for an antenna on a Bronco II? I dont think roof mount will work, roof top snorkels dont even last on BC trails. Im not sure anything more then 2' long would survive is a front-fender mount... How short of an antenna can I get for a reasonable price that is actually worth buying?

It seems the Cobra 29 series is very popular. What is a good price to pay for one? I read that it allows you to tune your antenna without an SWR meter...How common of a feature is that on radios? An SWR meter will probably pay for itself as soon as I convince my friends to get CBs in their trucks, but sounds like extra work I wouldn't mind avoiding. .
Is there an easy way to know if the radio will require an SWR meter to tune?

A quick search on the local craigslist found these adds...
1) http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/for/2290295829.html
2) http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/ele/2284107131.html
3) http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/2298240753.html

Are small radios like that any good? What about old radios? Has there been big advances in technologies and shit so a Radio from the 80s is junk, even if it works?

What about power? What is a good power for a radio? They are rated in watts I think? (From what I"ve been reading here..)

Thanks!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
honestly for a trail radio-- most use a uniden or cobra "mini" cb.. and a firestick. 3 foot should be fine. best place on a b2 i can think of is the spare tire mount if you have one, as long as it will ground to the body good..

that's my plan, the cobra mini and a firestick- mounted to my custom spare tire mount bumper once i make that! lol

think about something like this- not really this kit- but similar
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/jeep-offroad-cb-radio-106/jeep-off-road-cb-kit-uniden-pro-510xl-418.html

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That site says the firestick has better transmit/receiving... How much better?

Something like a wilson FLEX sounds more like what I might want, but If Im spending money on a CB radio it needs to have better range than a decent FRS radio...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
idk b/c i've never used a FLEX, but i'm totally satisfied w/ every firestick i've used or been around. we only use them for trail use usually so... either would work just fine. people are talking several miles on their little cbs like that. find someone that is running one now and ask them. b/c now i have a 2 meter ham radio in my truck... SO MUCH BETTER THAN CB. lol..but the masses i ride w/ don't have ham's so...

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Cobra 29... Great radio, sounds very good, have no complaints so far. I used a Midland 1001Z before, it was also a great radio, but it decided to take a crap on me.

I ran a 4ft firestik on the Midland 1001Z and got good range with it, about 6 miles of receive, maybe 4-5 on transmit.

I run a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna with the Cobra 29, great range and clarity. Haven't been able to officially test it with someone who has a decent enough antenna. But I know it goes far.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Cobra 29... Great radio, sounds very good, have no complaints so far. I used a Midland 1001Z before, it was also a great radio, but it decided to take a crap on me.

I ran a 4ft firestik on the Midland 1001Z and got good range with it, about 6 miles of receive, maybe 4-5 on transmit.

I run a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna with the Cobra 29, great range and clarity. Haven't been able to officially test it with someone who has a decent enough antenna. But I know it goes far.
Goes farther than the firestick?
And thats a metal whip? How are metal whips for flexibility/durability, compared to fiberglass?
And where is your whip mounted?
I have heard that half the antenna should be above the roof line for maximum reception?

Last edited:

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i get over 10 miles in the city with my midland 1001z and a hustler magnet antenna

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i get over 10 miles in the city with my midland 1001z and a hustler magnet antenna
holy crap. i'm getting that radio next paycheck anyways. i'm glad to hear that. i think i'm gonna run a 4' firestick tho.

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm in florida though its flat!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Goes farther than the firestick?
And thats a metal whip? How are metal whips for flexibility/durability, compared to fiberglass?
And where is your whip mounted?
I have heard that half the antenna should be above the roof line for maximum reception?
1) Yes the metal whip goes farther. However, this could be a combination of the better radio and antenna and not just the antenna.
2) Yes, its a metal whip, I'd say durability is about the same really, you don't want to start running either through trees though.
3) Its mounted in a hood channel mount on the drivers side of the pickup.
4) Its actually 2/3 of the antenna, however it is hard to follow that rule without getting a bigass antenna... 1/2 is sufficient though.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1) Yes the metal whip goes farther. However, this could be a combination of the better radio and antenna and not just the antenna.
2) Yes, its a metal whip, I'd say durability is about the same really, you don't want to start running either through trees though.
3) Its mounted in a hood channel mount on the drivers side of the pickup.
4) Its actually 2/3 of the antenna, however it is hard to follow that rule without getting a bigass antenna... 1/2 is sufficient though.
What would be better, a small antenna on the roof, or one twice that size off the back bumper? I think I am going to have to go with a FLEX, trees are nasty round these parts... Rooftop snorkels dont even survive.

How poor would the performance be for an antenna on the back bumper of a b2? Or how about mounted on a spare tire carrier?

Does anyone other than Wilson make really flexible whips that are not made-in-china crap?

Considering my need for durability, what would you suggest as a good mounting point? It seems ontop of the roof will be too high...

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i like my hustler magnet antenna i drive though trees everyday and it holds up..when i'm off road i either take it off or it'll fall into my bed. but for $20 i don't care if it rips off

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
spare tire is fine IF you get a good ground to the body

Blacked-Out FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Cobra mini cb i picked up at wal-mart. and 2 3ft firestik's...work like a charm. One whip is CB and the other is my scanner. I like about 20 miles from NYC and i can pick up the FDNY like they were sitting right next to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals