• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suspension swap

JamesC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
350 chev/3.0
Ok I have read the brake upgrade sticky in the brakes. It mentions swapping the I-beams in order for the newer style brakes. I was wondering if it is possible to take the whole 95 suspension. then have it bolt into a 86. This is 2wd by the way

my suspension has seen better days. thats why i would like to replace and upgrade at once.

broken2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are you going to keep it 2wd? if you do that i think it will bolt up. if you do 4wd you have to replace cross members and shit. i think the difference between an 86 and say a 93-97 is that the beams are cast on the newer ones and forged on the older ones. is a 86 drums in the front?

JamesC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
350 chev/3.0
yes I am keeping it 2wd. my suspension seems a little weak especially the radius arms so if I'm changing the I beams I figure i should change the radius arms and brackets too, so I want to take the whole front suspension from a 95-97. Will this work?

bluovaldude

Reaction score
It should work just fine for you. I do believe the only major change in the suspension from the 92 model to the 93-97 model was the brake cailipers were different.

Correct me if I am wrong.

But everything should work for you and if you do go the route of upgrading, do change it all radius arms, brackets and all.

And why the suspension is out check, and change out the major bushings, save you some time and money in the long run.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sludge, I hate to burst you bubble, but my 74 Hornet had drums all around. I know... it was an AMC... but it was my first car!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
how is that bursting my bubble?

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a stab here.... but it's newer than 1970?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i said 70's, not "1970".

volrath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
i think the inly difference on the 95-97 is the front abs on some and dual piston calipers. make sure they are not coming off of a truck with abs. lmc truck has the new front beam bushings and radious bushing in polyurathan for 20 bucks for a set. and the newer ranger radious arms have a stud to mount the shock. were as my old 84 had a bolt and bracket that pointed forward on the outside shock mount tab.

does your 86 have the sway bar that goes in between the radious arms?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually volrath he should be able to keep his stock radius arms with the newer beams so the shock mount and sway bar location should be no problem.

JamesC yes you can bolt in the beams, spindles, brakes, and radius arms (if you so desire) from a 95, and the easiest way to do it would be to get all from the same truck. Actually this is a fairly common mod to be done when lowering with the DJM Dream Beams, since you are already half way there when removing the beams.

volrath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
true true i was just thinking of the odd sway bar location behind the i beams. not before that mounts to the radious arms and radious arm cross member. that little bracket that comes off the shock mount and goes rearwards is also used to locate the sway bar u-bolts so the location is good on the new arms. i had to get an old bracket from a junk yard to locate the brackets.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals