• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Light bar input?

2tonefx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just got done putting a 3" bl and 33x12.50 on my 07 FX4 and am looking to put on a light bar but not sure on the style. I want it to mount to the bedrails, and have a few ideas. Input?
This is how my truck looks now:

These are the ones I am thinking about, but other suggestions are appreciated. I am going to do black.

or this one with just one hoop and without the horizontal bars...

Thoughts???

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
personally, i wouldn't do either... too gaudy... if you were really wanting to go with something for roof top lighting, i would do a headache rack...

the problem with mounting the lights up there, are the angle at which they hit the ground, and what's blocked by the cab is terrible, you have this huge dark spot infront of your truck, where you want the light...

2 huge recommendations to you, for your truck:

1) crank your torsion bars up a bit, to level the front out

2) put bump stops on the back before that truck sees any mud or dirt or rocks or anything... my rear flares won't stay on any more, because the tires have chewed the fenders... i've got the exact setup as you, except i've added stuff to stiffen up the rear, and i still munch my fenders on a regular basis...

if you're going to do the bump stops, jack up one side of the rear as high as you can, so it's ALMOST hitting the fender, and then take a look at where the stock bump stop is, and how much bigger it needs to be

Last edited:

2tonefx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I dont really do much for offroading, and as far as the void in lighting in the front, I am putting my bullbar back on that has a pair of hella black magics on it. Am waiting on the modified brackets now. I was thinking more so for appearance. I was contemplating putting some shackles on the back and cranking the torsion bars 2", giving an additional 2" straight through.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lift the front up first, you would be amazed at how much taller the truck looks when it's levelled...

i've got virtually the exact same truck as you, with the same size tires, and same body lift...

i also have on the rear now, expo leafs, 6400 shackles, and no block, the truck sits roughly the same height...

oh, and also, you're shocks aren't long enough for shackles and blocks... you can FORCE everything into place, but when it's all at full droop, you're going to be stressing your shocks... if you want to do both, you might want to think about re-locating the shock brackets on the axle

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
is it stray cat with the nice red ranger with the luggage bar type thing on top w/ basket? find a pic of that one.. see if you like that. personally, i love the cleanness of your ranger now..

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here are a few bars/racks I'v been contemplating building.

-Jester
This is exactly what I have had in mind for my B2... Nice, light, and low Profile... Dont think Ill be throwin the spare up there though:fie:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you wouldn't need to throw the spare up there... you've got a spare rack on the back...

that last curved light bar would look good on my bumper! i would need to custom fit it, so it's under my headlights though...

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
you wouldn't need to throw the spare up there... you've got a spare rack on the back...

that last curved light bar would look good on my bumper! i would need to custom fit it, so it's under my headlights though...
Talk to Dan(RuffStuff), he can hook you up.

-Jester

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i don't think i am actually going to put one on my truck, but it does look good... maybe my first/second gen, when i get it, after it's got my mustang's 5L HO

2tonefx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have been doing a lot of research, and I think i am going to do something similar to this:

except without the louvers (just a hoop) , and connect the bed bars and hoop into one unit, all black...
I am just unsure of what size tubing. Any thoughts???

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you're talking about a headache rack... they look pretty decent...

take a look at black widow's i think that's the brand... they look pretty sweet!

2tonefx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, at first I was looking at doing a roll bar style, but decided that wasn't quite the look I was going for, so have since settled on a headache rack type thing.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
lift the front up first, you would be amazed at how much taller the truck looks when it's levelled...

i've got virtually the exact same truck as you, with the same size tires, and same body lift...

i also have on the rear now, expo leafs, 6400 shackles, and no block, the truck sits roughly the same height...

oh, and also, you're shocks aren't long enough for shackles and blocks... you can FORCE everything into place, but when it's all at full droop, you're going to be stressing your shocks... if you want to do both, you might want to think about re-locating the shock brackets on the axle
^^^What he said, Bro!!! Why buy something that you aren't going to really use? Just for show and go? Then level that front end and show it off...it will look so much better!!! 100% better. That is a nice looking truck!!!! A+++

Add a front light bar and you will be able to see so much better. I have seen bolt on light bars from Westin on Ebay. See if they will fit your year of Ranger. They won't bolt up to mine. I have a 99 and I would have to modify it to fit mine.
You can also go to Ebay and get roof mounted light bars in black or the silver finish. The have two types of mounts...for gutter less roofs and for roofs with gutters. The dealer snappylights has a bunch of neat light bars and off road lights for very good prices. I have bought from him before and you won't be disappointed either.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals