• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cell phone holder?

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. :)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount/hold my cellphone in my truck.

I'm using an Android phone and a Black-Box app (records video, speed, G-Force, etc). It needs to be able to see over the dash.

I bought one of those suction-cup holders, but the angle just isn't right. Also, in the hot Florida sun, I expect it to fail and I certainly don't want an object flying around the cab in an accident.

What I've come up with, is to remove the center vent and mount an L bracket in it. I tried using double back tape, rated for 2 pounds. It lasted about 30 miles before it fell off. I didn't think it would hold, but it was worth a try.

So now I'm thinking I need to screw the bracket into the dash.

I'm looking for options or ideas - better yet - what are you doing to secure your phone to your dash? Is there a particular mount you're using?

I need one that can see out the front window, stays within arms reach, sturdy and doesn't bounce around as much as the truck does.

Any suggestions please? I'd rather not start hacking up my dash.

Thanks in advance!

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
maybe set something up the comes out from under the headliner at the top of the windshield around the rear view mirror

runningslow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
With a dremel and some plastic epoxy, I combined a universal GPS suction cup windshield mount with a plastic belt clip holster. I've used it daily for about a year with my HTC Hero in the Florida sun and it has held up great. It barely moves and it has never fallen off. Its great for Google Nav.

I'll take a picture of it when I get home. I'm at work and I don't have the truck with me.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Create a steel bracket that uses the existing mounting holes of the visors and comes forward under the rear view... that's basically what I did to mount my CB on my roof.

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
With a dremel and some plastic epoxy, I combined a universal GPS suction cup windshield mount with a plastic belt clip holster. I've used it daily for about a year with my HTC Hero in the Florida sun and it has held up great. It barely moves and it has never fallen off. Its great for Google Nav.

I'll take a picture of it when I get home. I'm at work and I don't have the truck with me.
Cool, I'd like to see how you mounted it. Please post a pic! :)

Kalwren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Create a steel bracket that uses the existing mounting holes of the visors and comes forward under the rear view... that's basically what I did to mount my CB on my roof.
Thats a clever idea. Sounds like I'd have to fab something though and I don't really have the tools for that.

Do you have a pic of the way you mounted it though? I'd be interested in seeing it. It may spark an idea for me. :)

Thanks!

runningslow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, here's mine. Sorry, the phone is not shown in the mount, but it was taking the pictures... :icon_twisted:
I did this because I didn't like the universal models... they either pushed on the volume buttons on the side, didn't hold it well, or broke. Well, the base is the original mount. The cradle that holds the phone is a ratcheting belt clip that the ratchet mechaism was cut from, with the female side of the mount from the Universal holder.

Last edited:

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
small piece of velcro (loop) on the back of my phone. small piece of velcro (hook) on the dash on a spot of my choosing. little piece of hook velcro in each of my vehicles and my phone always has a spot to ride.
just a thought.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats a clever idea. Sounds like I'd have to fab something though and I don't really have the tools for that.

Do you have a pic of the way you mounted it though? I'd be interested in seeing it. It may spark an idea for me. :)

Thanks!
All you need is a good set of drill bits, a hack saw and a bench mounted vice (for bending the metal). If I remember I'll have to get some pictures, but basically its a bar that extends from one side to the other, and it is attached using the existing holes for the visor clips that keep them closed.

I'll try to get pics. :icon_thumby:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All you need is a good set of drill bits, a hack saw and a bench mounted vice (for bending the metal). If I remember I'll have to get some pictures, but basically its a bar that extends from one side to the other, and it is attached using the existing holes for the visor clips that keep them closed.

I'll try to get pics. :icon_thumby:

Here's what I was talking about... Now with this CB its so big that a solid bar the whole way from clip to clip wouldn't work, so I used two brackets, however the idea is basically the same.

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^^^^^^^^^^might have to use this idea on my truck i tired of my cb being in the way of my ashtray

Ronv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers S
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I found some neat attachments for my GPS from ,"ProClip" on-line. They have a lot different styles depending on what you are mounting and the vehicle you are working with.

RonV :) :) :)

FX4OffRoad1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

Here's what I was talking about... Now with this CB its so big that a solid bar the whole way from clip to clip wouldn't work, so I used two brackets, however the idea is basically the same.
AMAZING IDEA:icon_thumby:, may try this on mine

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
AMAZING IDEA:icon_thumby:, may try this on mine
Thanks! Just make sure you actually measure where you need holes, because as you can see, I got ahead of myself and drilled them early, haha.

FX4OffRoad1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! Just make sure you actually measure where you need holes, because as you can see, I got ahead of myself and drilled them early, haha.
ah yes, didn't even notice that until you said something. Are your wires usually hidden in the headliner or do you just let them hang?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals