• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bad exhaust leak..

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok i have an 88 ford ranger 2.9 4x4. On the pass side, right where the exhasut manifod and exhaust bolt together, its leaking like a mother. Like fly a kite leak. The two lflanges where they bolt together is rusted. How do you all suggest i fix this. Its throwing off the 02 sensor due to the leak (or so i think) and its running horrible.. Any help appreciated

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
It may just need to be tightened, You'll need some extensions and an Impact, you can reach the bolts from underneath. Does it look like it's broken or cracked or anything? Try getting a picture and posting it

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i have the same problem with my 87' its really bad and the 2 bolts are so rusty that it would probably break if i try to tighten them, should i just cut the pipe right there and go w/o the cat and just redo my exhaust?

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
yea mine has the ssame problem. My bolt is copletely gone and it used tojust hang there. i live in buffalo , new york and till this crap we call snow is gone i used a c clamp and tightened it done.

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
Mine did the same, so i cut off the flang with a torch and smoothed up the edges with an angle grinder and welded new pipes from there to the cat

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i have a quick noob question, sorry to hijack your thread, but if i cut my cat out will my truck run shitty(er)?

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i did.(actually i hollowed it out) I would reccommend not doing it. Looking back i wish i didnt. I believe with a cat, my 3'' exhaust would let the truck run better. Give me the back pressure ( or the tech name) i need. I built my exhaust to big. Leave it in. Its pointless to take out.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3" exuast on a ranger is just retarded...you dont ahve nowhere near the exhaust velocity that is required, the bigges i would run is a 2.5 and thats even pushing it for a single pipe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
yeah i have the same problem on my 89 my bolts were good but tightening it did nothing. and i dont have a cat on my truck and it runs and works fine the only neg about it is that u wont pass an emmisions test. and as for the 3inch exaust the lower back pressure will reduce your low end torque output a bit but will increase you high end horsepower.

Exploder_Chick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 V6
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem with my 93 explorer, buts my fault, haha, i cut the exhaust off half way and stuck a muffler on and so it doesnt have any supports except where it bolts up at the manifold. I bent the flanges outa shape and emits the exhaust leak BAD. Your best bet is to get new down pipes. They are like 106 bucks at autozone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals