• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 460cid wont start

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
My dads 89 F-250 with the 460cid wont start. Its been sitting for a year because it was running like crap and smoking (Black smoke) bad. It would start up and run really bad before it would get up to temp and than flood and stall. Some one suggested it was the engine temp switch, I replaced it. Than I checked the coil. It was yellow spark, bought a new one and got a nice blue spark. The plugs (all 8) are covered in oil (even dripping). I cleaned them off and and touched them up with some sand paper. Still wont start. I checked the fuel pressure, 40psi (on the rail, both tanks). Tried to start it and the needle didn't move. Check comp, 8.5:1 on #1 piston. I got spark, I got air, I got compression. But still the SOB wont start. I plan on checking the TDC and dizzy after work. Anyone got any good ideas here, Im missing something. :icon_confused::icon_confused: Im thinking it has bad gass and maybe the Ignition Control Module is bad. But idk. Any way to check the ICM?:icon_idea:

Last edited:

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will it fire with starting fluid? if not ..I would start looking into timing issues.

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Will it fire with starting fluid? if not ..I would start looking into timing issues.
I tried starting fluid and still nothing. Checked the TDC and dizzy and everything looks good. Im starting to wonder if maybe its a mix of bad fuel and lack of spark, due to bad wires or crappy plugs. :icon_confused:

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your timing is good then the only thing stopping you would be spark if it wont with starting fluid.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I tried starting fluid and still nothing. Checked the TDC and dizzy and everything looks good. Im starting to wonder if maybe its a mix of bad fuel and lack of spark, due to bad wires or crappy plugs. :icon_confused:
an engine just needs fuel, air, and spark to run. in the above post you have elmininated fuel so its either air or spark. try eliminating either spark(timing, coil, dist.) or air (vaccums, air filter). once you knock out one of them culprits. theres only one thing left to go wrong

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
If your timing is good then the only thing stopping you would be spark if it wont with starting fluid.
The spark form the coil is good. But I havent tried it form the dizzy. Maybe im getting a weak spark for the cap and rotor some how. I will take a look after work, im on my lunch now. :headbang: Ill check the wires too.

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
an engine just needs fuel, air, and spark to run. in the above post you have elmininated fuel so its either air or spark. try eliminating either spark(timing, coil, dist.) or air (vaccums, air filter). once you knock out one of them culprits. theres only one thing left to go wrong
Well its getting air. Its getting fuel (might be bad fuel, but its getting it). So it must be spark. Im guess bad wires or plugs. The coil is new and its sparking good. This damn truck isnt even sputtering. It just turns over. No stumble or anything. Even with weak spark it should sputter or sound like it wants to start, right?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
not necessarily. if it had good spark and no fuel or bad fuel it would at least sputter and make a couple pops but if she dont sputter or pop at all i would say its spark

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
not necessarily. if it had good spark and no fuel or bad fuel it would at least sputter and make a couple pops but if she dont sputter or pop at all i would say its spark
Im wondering if mybe the ICM on the dizzy is not working:icon_confused: I know the coil is making spark, I know the plugs are bad (but still put out spark), I know the cap and rotor are new-er. So I will try replacing the plugs and wires and see if that even helps. but that will have to wait till payday. Is there anything else I could try or do till than?

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
A friend of mine is suggesting the timming chain might be to blame. Were gonna get a bad storm all week so i'll mess with it when it gets nice out. :icon_cheers: Ill have to let you all know whats going on when I get it running again. Thanks for all the input and comments. :headbang:

fordtrucknut77

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would give it a tune up for starters, plugs wires distributor cap and rotor and also change the module on the distributor, they are known to go bad.

If that doesnt get you anywhere start looking into the computer. you may have to get someone to scan it unless you wanna just go buy one. how many miles are one the motor?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals