• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Forever build thread

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Figured I'd make one of these and just add as I go. I'd upload photos but my iPhone won't let me to this site and apps for forums doesn't work for this site due to needed updating of certain software.
Ok here we go, belltech 6400 going on now. Soon I'll have 63-64 chevy leaves, and exhaust rebuilt cause it's welded in the way. Photos will come when I sync phone to comp n upload em to here. Nothin special. Need to get front end lift components to equal what I'm doing to rear, all I am able to do for now is crank torsion bars. Redbeard metal and fabrication near me only does 97 and prior rangers.... So mad. Photos and random add ons will come.

So far ive done:
Belltech 6400 Shackles
Sprayed Grille+Front Bumper
Miscellaneous Fixes in engine bay
Throttle Cable Mod
Shifter Mod(Mine was Horrrrrrible)
Explorer Power Seat(second soon), Dome Light

Last edited:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

front view don't have many before photos.

my awesome jack

brother inlaw and some kid down the street. i was watching my son while they got hanger bolts off.

rusty frame before i sprayed it.
Prying down leaf spring to attach shackle.

rear frame sprayed with rubberized undercoating. later i have plans of sanding and putting a real coat on but this will do for now.

Passenger side hanger also showing tail pipe cut.

driver side hanger.

had the kid down the street bring his sawzall and cut my tail pipe as it was stopping me from rearing last bolt hole on shackle.

It is alot higher in rear now.

All in all it took me 2 hours of work spread over 2 days as i had time. main problem was bed bolts which required a breaker bar which i didnt have. so i went through 5-6 socket wrenches as the teeth broke slowly with each bolt. i put my jack handle over the wrench and got bolts off. its sad when my 345 ft/lb torque impact wrench wasnt enough for the bolts. I will get a good photo showing difference from front to rear lift. but for now here are my messed up torsion bar bolts... so mad at previous owner for doing this....

Drivers side bolt, good condition.

passenger side bolt, looks sideways and is protruding alot more then other. I tried to correct this side only to snap my bit, it takes a 13mm bit. to think a 13mm bit could take this much force to turn is ridiculous. and yes i did lift vehicle before trying this. my passenger side is 1 inch lower then drivers side, causing my drivers side tire to wear quicker. im trying to fix this before i get an alignment as ill just have to get another after i fix anyways.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
BTW, i bought 2 sets of shackles by accident. also i have stock shackles should someone want, they are new as of 3 months ago, still have Ford Genuine Parts sticker on them. Dont want to sell and ship as my paypal doesnt work right now, I would rather someone in MA buy them. 30 for belltech 6400s' still in box, and 20 for stock shackles.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
of course i write for 5 mins about stuff i plan on doing and bam, logged out and didnt copy the writing before hand. whatever.
any ideas for front end not being so low id appreciate. I am saving towards a v8 and long travel from dixon bros... till then i hate being a low front end truck. looks weird. specially when im not running big rears, small tires upfront, and dont have a massive engine lol.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
be alot cheaper to do a sas, but f that, i like front end suspension style.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Somehow link broke so here.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I don't understand why these photos won't post... Ugh. Maybe it's my phone... I'll have to hop on comp after and look.
In the meantime I sprayed silver grille with Rust-Oleum truck bedcoating spray. It looks good wet. Waiting to dry and I'll take photos; of it and truck from sideview to show difference in lift front-back.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
On the first I'm going hunting for a 9.75 f150 axle. Wish someone had a destroyed truck to sell around me... Junkyards rape your wallet nowadays...

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
sprayed grille and changed light assembly, thinking of spraying both bumpers same color. Bolts are so rusted I'll have to buy new bolts before I do or just tape and spray... I'd rather remove so I can spray it correctly.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Wish I knew how to bend pipe, I hate the way stock shocks are setup in back.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Just took off and sprayed stock bumper same as grille, photos to follow. wow my radiator mount is basically held on only by top mounts. The ones that attach to frame are completely rusted off, though frame is ok, the mounts are not.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have a good start there, The DB kit is pretty sweet, but really expensive

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
thanks. yes it is and its killing me knowing i have the money for it but all the required shocks ect will run me alot higher. well see, im about to have to make a decision, 3400 bucks to invest... just wanna make sure i go the right direction, my last 3500 i wasted and only truly put 500 into truck. 500 on tools so i can do most work myself long as no wielding. wish i had welder for a friend.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

Just some photos so when I do whatever the hell I'm doing it shows. I painted the bumper just to see how it looks same as grille.
My next thing is new radiator core support as it's rotted off theframe, frames fine but the radiator hangs loose, so I have a whole new support for lights also and new lights and grille for 50 bucks. My big decision Is buy this 177k mile explorer, or get a long travel. I'd rather suspension but then again I did just put on new pro comp es9000's but no photos.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a lovely problem I recently fixed.

It was causing my rear end to hop to the side over bumps on highway, not a fun time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals