• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ravo's Ranger

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
so i bought a 93 ranger, ex cab. the 4x4 was shot(manual hubs though. nice). it was a stick behind a 4.0L. i knew it had an exhaust leak when i bought it.

here it was the day i brought it home

so far i've changed the air filter. the plugs. the oil. and the oil filter. i bought all new exhaust parts (muffler, intermediate pipe, y pipe). it was leaking at the y pipe/ manifold flange. i snapped the bolts of course. then the manifold bolts broke.

this is where she sits now.

at least its a heated garage

engine dismantled because i have to remove the heads to get the manifold off.

hopefully the next nice day i can finish putting on the new brakes and roll it out and power wash everything. the block is so grimey and has acorns tucked in everywhere. this truck was in dire need of a good owner like me. i inspected my lifter springs and noticed something odd. lets see if you can spot the difference

front passenger

rear passenger (the middle one was the same)

the intake springs is a little lower on the back 2. the drivers side is all the same like i figured they would. i'm assuming i new to repair something there

also. one of my head bolts is stuck in the block and is on the verge of being stripped out. who's bright idea was it to put torx bolts in? :annoyed:

hopefully once i get the manifolds seperated from the heads i can start reassembly. maybe 2 weeks. new exhaust. clean engine. new oil...again.

so needless to say its a good project truck even though i ended up paying to much for it. i guess this might be the start of my build thread. so i guess my plans:

2" body lift
2" suspension
15x8 3.75bs
33x10.5 bfg a/t
repaint (dark shadow gray w/ black trim?)
cab lights
mirror running lights like the f series

i'll keep you updated

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
also i checked my door tag. apperently my truck came with 265/75 15's on it. i think thats crazy for a stock ranger. i didn't know they came that big. i only have 235's right now:annoyed:

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
got the other head off

then proceeded to replace the dipstick tube because mine rotted to pieces. literally

the new one from ford cost 81 dollars. god damn stealership. got a lot of new parts waiting to go on. i still need to get the manifolds removed and get the bolts out. i'm bringing them to a shop by the weekend
as of right now the parts i have waiting are new brakes, muffler, exhaust, gaskets(intake gasket is $91:icon_confused::icon_confused:) and probably more.
parts in the bed

i'm thinking a nice ford blue or a red would look nice. leaning towards the blue

and just for giggles the new front end for my brothers ranger

here's his truck

everything is rolling along. hopefully i can get all the brakes done while the parts are away and roll it out of the heated garage and power wash the engine bay and truck.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
while its apart i figured i might as well paint some engine parts to give it a better look. i decided on blue valve covers, black heads and since i couldn't get the intake manifold chromed, i did the next best thing. wire wheel. so far i have the manifold done

here it was at first
bottom

top(i forgot to take a pic before i finished the whole thing)

and then the finished product. i still want to try and make the finish a little smoother but i like it a lot better:yahoo:

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got a good start man lookin good

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Scribed!
I wanna watch this

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah. i guess the shop (good buddy of my dad) said the heads are junk so either they are gonna look around and rebuild them for like 600 or i could buy these new/rebuilt? heads from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-4-0-FORD-CYLINDER-HEADS-RANGER-BRONCO-MAZDA-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e60349fdQQitemZ360341260797QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

great deal because you ship back your old heads to them so they have spare parts

i'm so sick of taking her apart. and now i'm so close to re-installation. i have all new gaskets, exhaust parts, brakes and more just waiting to get put back on. i'm just waiting on the heads. once i get everything painted and put back together its gonna look sweet under the hood.

and like i said before i'm lookin to get her fixed, painted, and lifted on 33's hopefully by summer. :icon_bounceblue: you'd be surprised how much money minimum wage can earn a determined 17 year old. once i get this initial new truck crap out of the way everything else is gonna be down hill. a very steep hill. its gonna happen quick. i'm pumped. i'll definitely make sure to keep you guys updated on what's going on

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
so i ordered the new heads. hopefully coming in this weekend so i can start reassembly. i'm really excited to get this thing on the road because the last time i drove it was from the trailer into the garage and the throttle response was crap. it sounded like crap due to the massive exhaust leaks. hopefully i get the power of a new engine

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i might have just found a set of 4 wheels and tires for $300 untill i can get the money for what i want... 15x8 with 3.25-3.5 backspacing. he's not sure. 32x11.5 bfg a/t with 70% tread left. i know the guy so thats why its so cheap. i know the wheels have a bit much back spacing but they will be ok untill i have money for ones with 3.75 bs

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
so i just confirmed the wheels tires. should be picking them up this weekend and hopefully by then my engine will be back together. now i just need a set of leveling coils.... why doesnt the list ever get any smaller???

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
not much has happened. but i got her on the wheels again and rolled her out for a good cleaning. mainly under the hood. power washed the whole engine bay and the body. also cleaned some brackets before i paint them

(prior to cleaning)

i love actually being able to tell what shape my parts are and not just a ball of slime

next on the list is new oil

also i have some big parts coming in the mail for the end of the week!!!!

Last edited:

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
bringing some color to this beauty

end results will have the block blue, heads black, lower manifold black, and intake wannabe chrome. i have since polished it and got rid of all the pitting. it is seriously like chrome

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
did some more painting today

just waiting on a big package to come in the mail before i start reassembly. should be coming in the mail later today

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
while its apart i figured i might as well paint some engine parts to give it a better look. i decided on blue valve covers, black heads and since i couldn't get the intake manifold chromed, i did the next best thing. wire wheel. so far i have the manifold done

here it was at first
bottom

top(i forgot to take a pic before i finished the whole thing)

and then the finished product. i still want to try and make the finish a little smoother but i like it a lot better:yahoo:

What do you mean you can't find one chromed? These things are a dime a dozen :D

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'm sure i could find one but no one around here does it and i didn't want to spend anymore than i had to at the time. i am very pleased with the results. i'm gonna try to smooth is up a little bit more then just put clear over it.

also..... look what i got :yahoo:

its a big box!!!! and whats inside???

yay. my new heads finally came in. just need to double check that they are the right ones tomorrow and then paint them. then i can FINALLY start putting my truck together. i've owned it for like a month and its been apart since day 1. i'm so happy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals