PDA

View Full Version : 1992 ranger 2.9L 4x4. will not start - Help

mdash29
02-15-2011, 05:42 PM
We bought this truck off of this kid who changed the motor, but ran out of patients and didn't complete the install. So my Son and I are trying to get this back together. We hooked up the fuel pump and started the motor. It ran rough. My son hooked up some vacuum hoses and the motor smoothed out. We turned it off and tried to start it again... but it wont even try to start. Checked timing...OK. Checked fuel pressure at the manifold. Got it there. It has spark and fuel... but it doesn't even try to start.
Is there something at the fuel injection stopping the fuel from getting to the cylinders and plugs?

Looking for anything to try next. any thoughts?

Thanks guys
Michael

adsm08
02-15-2011, 07:30 PM
You may have flooded it while it was running poorly. If you have fuel, fire and air, that's really the most likely issue. Trip the inertia switch down on the passenger side floor board and crank it over for a bit. Do 3 sets of 10 second cranking, 10 seconds rest, then reset the switch (push the button on the top) and try again. My truck does that from time to time.

mdash29
02-15-2011, 07:41 PM
That's what we thought ... so we took out all the plugs, inspected, gaped, we turned it over awhile then reinstalled the plugs. It didn't start. Then we let it set for 2 days and went back.. still wont start. I'm going to try what you said anyway... cause we have run out of ideas here.

I think we have narrowed it down to the fuel injectors. They are either not firing or clogged.