• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idle Problems, . . cluesless

producer87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just purchased a '96 Ranger with a 3.0 V6 in it. I got it and it did not run. I checked it out and found that there were absolutely no vacuum hoses anywhere attached to the engine. . . I had a old 2.6 4cylinder from a 97 ranger. I took the vacuum hoses off that one and put them on the v6. Now it cranks with ease. Now it runs great for like 15 secs and then just slowly cuts off. Can anyone help.
Much appreciatted!

vincedia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Acura
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Idle air control?

Do you have a guide your working from for the vacuum system? You sure you got them all?

producer87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well see when it was running I completely disconnected the IAC and it went dead when I did that, plugged it back in and it runs fine. . or as good as it is. I believe I got them all . . . I used the guide on the Ranger under the hood, . . .close to the hood latch. . . my father suggested the fuel pump . . . dunno tho. . .

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Not to get you over hopeful, but the computer may not know how to deal with the current state of things. It may act better with just a short bit of running.

producer87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thats the prob. . . it won't run longer than 15 seconds. . .

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you saying it wont run for more than 15 seconds even if you press the gas slightly?

any smoke?

any unusual noises?

check engine light on?

how does the business end of the plugs look?

are the plug wires in good shape?

what do you know of the vehicle's history?

My first instinct is, if it dies in a few seconds even if the gas is gently pressed and there aren't any funny indications, I'd be looking at the fuel pressure. From there, if I didn't know much about vehicles (including diagnosing modern engine management), I'd probably spend 60 bucks for a dealership diagnostic.

producer87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not much, I just know it was a company truck for Purdue chicken farms. . and then somehow ended up at my neighbors house sitting up. He didn't need it, he just bought it. Hes a high roller Farmer. . .lots of money.

Everything seems fine. . . spark plugs. . spark plug wire. . all of it. . . . and no I can not give it gas. . . . if i do . . i have to be EXTREMELY gentle , . . I mean EXTREMELY slow if i do give it gas or it will chug off!

Does kinda sound like a fuel pump problem. . . ? I have a great condition 4 cylinder Ranger same year model, sitting around. . . (blown up motor) that has a better looking gas tank and all . . . . . maybe switch them. . . but then lthat leaves the question of Pressure tolerance for the 4 cylinder, and the V6 . . . same tanks and everything tho! . . . .

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It could be anything related to the fuel delivery.....pump assembly (strainer/pump/regulator), wiring, grounds, relays, even the PCM.

Dont shoot blind, get an EFI fuel pressure guage and the specification, and find out.

producer87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got it!

It was the fuel pump! I took the gas tank and pump from my 2.3 4cylinder model and switched them. Works perfectly! Thanks for all the help!

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats really cool...love it when the fix doesnt take much troubleshooting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals