• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC Issues

jv982

Reaction score
So last summer I replaced the compressor, accumulator, orfice tube, and all of the o-rings for a R134 conversion. The AC was blowing COLD, like 37f cold.

Now I am having issues with the AC again. My compressor will run when the truck is idling, but if I rev it over 1500rpm for more than 5 seconds it shuts off. It will turn itself back on when I return the engine to idle. It does this when driving, or sitting still. Even when the compressor is running it does not produce any cold air.

Also, my low pressure line does not get cold or show any condensed water on it. Last summer it would have a tiny bit of frost right after the accumulator on it, but now it is hot.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
the way it sounds you have a leak and the system charge is low. the easy way to check is to look for oily spots at connections and in your condenser. if this doesn't work then you will have to get the dye and a black light.

jv982

Reaction score
If I had a leak, why would my compressor shut off when the engine spun faster?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Because it's low-side pressure regulated.

You don't think the compressor spins all the time, do you? That part of the behavior is COMPLETELY normal. It's the warm air that isn't.

You need a shop. If you don't understand how the system works, you have little chance of correct diagnosis and virtually no chance of a correct repair.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
:agree: :damnit1: you beat me to an answer but mine was pretty much the same

jv982

Reaction score
I must have miscommunicated my issue here...

The compressor turns off and stays off when the engine is spinning faster than idle.
It will turn on for about 2 seconds, and then stay off for several minutes. That is not normal.

I understand how a/c systems work, but I do not understand why the compressor would not run while the engine is spinning faster. Please explain.

Does Ford have performance tests that say that at a certain temp with the engine at a certain speed the pressures should be _?

*edit* And I will be doing all of this work at a shop, with access to a/c equipment. I am not just replacing parts and throwing cans of refrigerant at it. I am looking for a technical explanation.

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
you don't have enough refigerant in the system. the low pressure switch will not allow the compressor to stay engaged. i don't know all the specifics but listen to makg he knows his stuff.

Last edited:

jv982

Reaction score
I would be happy to listen to him, as I always have listened to his advise, but he has not explained anything for me.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
[QUO7068]TE=MAKG;Because it's low-side pressure regulated.[/QUOTE]

meaning the system is low of charge

You don't think the compressor spins all the time, do you? That part of the behavior is COMPLETELY normal. It's the warm air that isn't.
the compressor will only run part of the time until the temp is reached then the compressor shuts down

[QUO7068]TE=MAKG;You need a shop. If you don't understand how the system works, you have little chance of correct diagnosis and virtually no chance of a correct repair.[/QUOTE]

if you don't know anything about a/c systems they are dangerous to work with with threat of damaging you 1 year old parts,hurting yourself or others.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
One thought that comes to mind, as the compessor spools up with more RPM, is that the compressor's demand of the low refrigerant pulls the pressure down on the low side, tripping the low pressure switch. Just a guess.

jv982

Reaction score
Honestly baddis I don't think you understand any of this. You don't even understand what MAKG has stated.

[QUO7068]TE=MAKG;Because it's low-side pressure regulated.

meaning the system is low of charge
low-side pressure regulated means that whether the compressor runs or not is determined by the pressure on the low side

the compressor will only run part of the time until the temp is reached then the compressor shuts down
This is not climate control with a thermostat like a house. The compressor does not shut off because it has cooled to a certain temperature.

[QUO7068]TE=MAKG;You need a shop. If you don't understand how the system works, you have little chance of correct diagnosis and virtually no chance of a correct repair.

if you don't know anything about a/c systems they are dangerous to work with with threat of damaging you 1 year old parts,hurting yourself or others.
Now you are just being a smarta$$. Surely you don't think I need that explained to me.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And if it's NEVER turning back on, it's a good bet your orifice tube is plugged. You confirm this with a high side measurement -- it will get extremely high in that 5 sec or so. Note this can CAUSE leaks on the high side (it can get THAT high -- and from experience the pressure relief valve isn't always the first thing to pop).

Which is usually the result of incorrect charging, flushing, or assembly (introduction of contaminants, including "stop leak" and water vapor).

Ford has a lot of P-T diagrams, as well has cycle times, and so on. But they aren't the same for R-134a and it's hard to satisfy the conditions (interior "stabilized" to 70 deg F).

Last edited:

jv982

Reaction score
One thought that comes to mind, as the compessor spools up with more RPM, is that the compressor's demand of the low refrigerant pulls the pressure down on the low side, tripping the low pressure switch. Just a guess.
That is a good thought, but I wouldn't think that would keep the compressor off almost entirely at higher RPM's. I could be wrong

And if it's NEVER turning back on, it's a good bet your orifice tube is plugged. You confirm this with a high side measurement -- it will get extremely high in that 5 sec or so. Note this can CAUSE leaks on the high side (it can get THAT high -- and from experience the pressure relief valve isn't always the first thing to pop).

Which is usually the result of incorrect charging, flushing, or assembly (introduction of contaminants, including "stop leak" and water vapor).

Ford has a lot of P-T diagrams, as well has cycle times, and so on. But they aren't the same for R-134a and it's hard to satisfy the conditions (interior "stabilized" to 70 deg F).

Now the orfice tube being plugged makes perfect sence. If it is blocked it would let enough pressure through when the compressor is spinning at idle but when it spins faster it would starve the low side. Is that what you are saying MAKG?

Now no "stop leak" or other has been added ever. How would water vapor clog the orfice tube?

MAKG, Please confirm for me a super high pressure on the high side

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Water vapor can plug the orifice tube in two ways:

1. Corrosion products circulate and collect on the high side of the tube.

2. The vapor deposits on the LOW side as ice.

I'd suspect #1 under the cirumstances.

I've also seen orifice tubes plug from failing compressors, pressure lines, and even accumulator/driers. If a plug confirms, you'll find the residue all over the orifice tube. If it's the compressor, it will be magnetic and might even have chunks in it.

I'm making wild guesses here, but perhaps you're "compacting" the deposits above idle more than at idle. It's not COMPLETELY plugged, since a few minutes gives you a cycle back. But it sounds pretty plugged up.

jv982

Reaction score
MAKG, Please confirm for me a super high pressure on the high side.

I will confirm the guage readings before I open the system up (after capturing the refrigerant), but it sounds like I need to flush the sys. and replace the accumulator and orfice tube. Hopefully thats it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals