• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Under Construction (D30 SAS)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, ive been into this thing for a couple weeks now, and finally have the axle to the 'in' point, i built a 3-link/radius arm setup, and am using 4" YJ springs.

Now to the point, im wondering how you guys that have already done this setup your steering and tracbar... I was told that a jeep pittman would fit my steering box, while close, that is wrong. Also, my axle strange as it is (i dont know what it came out of) was leaf sprung AND has a trac bar mount cast into the vacuum disco housing... well this causes problems cuz the steering i grabbed (out of a cherokee) will hit the trac bar mount. Im just looking for a couple tips from the guys that have already done this.

I should have pics in a couple days.

Thanks,
MIke

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Sounds like an axle out of a YJ.

There should be no reason you can't use your stock Ford pitman arm.

Can you grind off that trackbar bracket ans make a new one where it's out of the way?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, i think i may have figured out an idea on what to do. Its hard to explain really, but ill be running the trac bar under the x member. Ill have pics tomorrow

TRUNK_MONKEY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Transmission
Automatic
hey mike

sounds like you are a few days ahead of us doing the same thing.we hope to have the axle located and mounted/mounts welded in this weekend.prolly going to have to drive with 2wd and no xfer case and no 4 wd option for a bit.
is your d30 a high pinion d30?i think all yj wranglers were,but i am not sure.post up some pics of your spring mounts,i'd like to see what you have.mine are forthcoming,but gotta get it mounted first LOL time to :icon_welder: that SOB in place after i get it all measured and located.ours is going in a 2wd ranger (1990),soon to be 4x4!
scott

TRUNK_MONKEY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like an axle out of a YJ.

There should be no reason you can't use your stock Ford pitman arm.

Can you grind off that trackbar bracket ans make a new one where it's out of the way?
we plan on sawing/grinding it down.no track bar either,seems odd to have one on a leaf sprung axle.we also are 4 popper so we have lightweight rig -should work fine,can add one later if need be.:yahoo:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
we plan on sawing/grinding it down.no track bar either,seems odd to have one on a leaf sprung axle.we also are 4 popper so we have lightweight rig -should work fine,can add one later if need be.:yahoo:
Well, i dont know about you, but i have to have one, as mine is coil sprung... now. But heres the pics.

Enjoy!

TRUNK_MONKEY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Transmission
Automatic
i think

we need a drop pitman arm and ream the knuckles for tie rods on top of the knuckle. i also will trim the crossmember down and box it in, right now the member is resting on the diff.looks good hairy
i am off to weld my spring mounts on--wheeee!!:yahoo:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, i thought about doin the same with my x-member. but in my application the upper link will actually hit the frame before the axle hits the crossmember. I just mounted one of the factory bump stops above it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Monkey, what are you going to use for your steering, ive heard alot of guys say something about chevy 1-ton steering for over the knuckle applications. But i dont know anything about it. Myself im not going to worry about it. All you gain is about 11/2" of clearance. I think ill need a drop pittman, too, ill see when the motor is in just where the truck is going to sit.... as of right now, i think the springs i got will be too soft, im going to look at getting wildhorses EB 3.5" rock crawler spings.... the rate on em is 200 lbs per inch + 10% to 375 lbs per inch, the ones i have now are 175 lb springs, and theyre linear.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE:

Ive got the rearend pulled, and i go to get the 8.8 ASAP. Swap the spring perches, add a leaf or two and throw it in. Im going to steal the 1354 for future doubler. The drivelines will stay too, to try and mismatch and fit/build some that might actually work haha. If not well, then i get to pay someone that knows what theyre doing to do it for me.

Once the rearends in im off to get my beloved engine/tranny donor. Once i get that far, toss the engine in convert it to carb, and the project will have to wait sadly. Once i get relocated to my new place and settled in, ill have time to attack my new parts ranger!! Mainly just the bed and the fenders along with a few things for the interior, as mine are trashed and the donor is in really nice shape... too bad its a 2wd.

Ill get some more pics up soon of the axle out and the new 8.8 in. The 8.8 is a 3.73 LS, too bad the D-30 is a 3.08 or some wierd thing. Eh, but you cant be too picky with free parts.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Man, Thats a mean looking ranger. I mean look at mine(avatar). Wimpy,wimpy,wimpy
(for now....)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Man, Thats a mean looking ranger. I mean look at mine(avatar). Wimpy,wimpy,wimpy
(for now....)

Hey thanks man. Just wait till the 33's and itll really look mean, also there will be the lope of a V8 to accent all of the 'mean-ness':drool::D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, got the 8.8 in and the spring perches tacked to the axle. Im going to wait until the motor and everything is in so that i can get the pinion angle as close to perfect as possible.
The deal i had on an 87 t-bird went down the shitterie so, im thinking i will go one of two routes... buy a stroked rotating assembly from PAW, or buy the whole stroked short block. The rotating assembly is $849 and the short block is going to be $1379. If i use my block the motor will come out as a 347, if i buy the short block itll be a 342. Can anyone tell what it costs to have a block bored and all the other things it will require? Im thinking the short block will be cheaper in the end, plus it has taller lifter bores to handle a high lift roller stick. Either way itll be getting some cheapo summit alum. heads and a wiend intake + holley truck avenger. Im not sure on the cam yet. Ill use james duff headers and some raptor mufflers. The tranny will be a C4/C5 hybrid using the stock 1350, with a doubler in the future. Then ill have to regear the front to 3.73 and think about some sort of limited slip.

But the bad news my project will now go into hibernation mode.... as im moving and cannot take my pickup with me yet. Once i get settled in, and the green stuff is a little more available i will jump on this project like theres no tommarrow

fordguy64

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what size heim joints did you use?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals