• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mercon V

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When I got my '97 2.3 5 speed in 2004 I changed all the fluids. At the time my research showed the trans fluid.....some data stated Mercon ATF, other places stated surprisingly 5 w30 motor oil. I put in the motor oil. I've been running that since, for 42,000 miles without any issues.

Now I'm about to put Mercon V into it because ALL the data I've found say that's what I should use.

Any thoughts or experience on this subject would be appreciated.

fourwheelford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
It may not be good to mix the two considering you can't drain every last bit out. I run royal purple in my honda and that tranny has never given me trouble. I think the mercon is to retain the warranty and it maybe handles heat better not sure though.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would stick with Mercon, myself (called "Dex-Merc" nowadays). Mercon V tends to cause some shifting issues on the earlier M5ODs (2008 is actually the first year that specifies Mercon V instead of Mercon).

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
go with the regular mercon (DEXIII/MERC), its cheap enough that you could fill it up and drive it for a week, then drain it and fill it again, just to be sure that the 5w30 is all out of there.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
mercon ATF is what ur supposed to use. i believe that in 03 they started using mercon V.
im using mercon ATF on my moms 03 and it has no issues. but i think it uses mercon V

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's been a few threads about this. I'm a little drunk but hopefully I'll still get my facts straight.

Basically, if you go to a ford dealer they'll sell you Mercon V and tell you that's what you need. Don't listen to them.

The older m50d trannies have copper synchros versus the carbon fiber synchros in the newer m5od trannies.

So Mercon V which is formulated for the carbon fiber will put added wear on your copper synchros and cause harder shifting.

Dex/merc is what you need.

So on and so forth...feel free to correct me if I mixed something up.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
(2008 is actually the first year that specifies Mercon V instead of Mercon).
There is also a TSB that applies to everything that says "Merc V replaces Mercon".

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Great, Thanks!!

I think regular Mercon is the answer....turns out the puddle I was seeing is power steering fluid. I'd been moving the Ranger around so I didn't know where the puddle was coming from.

The trans however, is not leaking, but next time I change it (before too long), I'll use regular Mercon.

Thanks again!!

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The power steering fluid, by the way, is also regular Mercon.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There is also a TSB that applies to everything that says "Merc V replaces Mercon".
But does that TSB address in any way the harder "chunkier" shifting that occurs with Mercon V in older transmissions?

And why do all the oil companies (Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc.) still continue to manufacture Mercon (now labeling it Dex/Merc) if there was no longer a need for it?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
All he is saying is every dealership out there is now putting Mercon V in everything that used to call for Mercon as we no longer stock Mercon.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I completely understand that (didn't mean it to be argumentative if it came off that way).
All I know is my friend had the oil in his '93 M5OD changed at a "quick lube" shop a few years ago... They put Mercon V in it following this TSB thing and within about 500-1000 miles, he started having problems shifting gears (was not the clutch... that was the first thing we checked). I put std Mercon back in it and it improved somewhat, though it never did fully return to how it was before.
My BII's M5OD I suspect also had V in it before I got it. I checked it over real well before installing it, everything such as synchro clearances were all very much within the tolerances outlined in the manual, yet it exhibits some of the same symptoms my friend's has (chunky shifting, and occasional difficulty getting it into gear when stopped).
I've seen others complaining about this here and on other sites as well. :dunno:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes, mine also shifts real tight on either side of 2nd....and getting it into 1st at a stop sign can be problematic. I always figured it's just that line of trans. 'course, I got my Ranger at 108k miles. Now it's got 142k....hasn't changed.

Just a note: I put in the K&N cold-air system and Accel Hi-Pro coils because I run it nearly the width of Texas on I-10 3-4 times per year.....I run it all the way at 84 mph. That lil' 2.3 likes it. Only about 19 mpg at that speed, tho.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals