• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Info on Ford 400 motor

dangerranger10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1979 Ford F150 Ranger Sport that has the 6.6L 400 motor in it with a new edlebrock 4 barrel carb, edlebrock intake, headers, and glasspacks. I'm wondering if since everything I've read the motor came out with a 2 barrel carb on it if I can pull the 4 barrel off and put an original ford 2 barrel back on the truck and it would get better fuel mileage. I personally hate the 4 barrels because I have never had one that ran as good as the 2 barrel and the one on my truck now gets terrible fuel mileage. This is my dream truck and I am on the verge of having to sell it so I am wanting to see if there is anything I can do to make it get better fuel mileage. If it is possible to put the 2 barrel on the truck what kind of fuel mileage would you think that I could get out of it?

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well kindove a correctly tuned 4b carb with the stock motor will give you around 10,11mpg a 2b carb will get you around 15 maybe if you baby it to the max. i have a 400m 30 over je pistons comp cam, etc tons of shit done, had a holly 4b double pumper and i get 6mpg with occasional foot heaviness. it will get 9mpg if babied, i dont even want to say what i got when i had the dual 4's ill say it got less than 5

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
look into a fuel injection conversion..expensive? yes. but in the realm of things not really, considering you get better drivability, better tuning available, and slightly better milage, considering what carbs are running new, what it takes to rebuild them and the fact that ethanol gums them up...carbs are on the way out im sad to say:bawling:

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1979 Ford F150 Ranger Sport that has the 6.6L 400 motor in it with a new edlebrock 4 barrel carb, edlebrock intake, headers, and glasspacks. I'm wondering if since everything I've read the motor came out with a 2 barrel carb on it if I can pull the 4 barrel off and put an original ford 2 barrel back on the truck and it would get better fuel mileage. I personally hate the 4 barrels because I have never had one that ran as good as the 2 barrel and the one on my truck now gets terrible fuel mileage. This is my dream truck and I am on the verge of having to sell it so I am wanting to see if there is anything I can do to make it get better fuel mileage. If it is possible to put the 2 barrel on the truck what kind of fuel mileage would you think that I could get out of it?
no its not. you would have to switch intakes. if you have a factory 4bbl intake you have a gem on your hands. we have a 72 ltd with the 400m and the 2bbl and if you wanna swap even then im sure dad would love to have your setup

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no its not. you would have to switch intakes. if you have a factory 4bbl intake you have a gem on your hands. we have a 72 ltd with the 400m and the 2bbl and if you wanna swap even then im sure dad would love to have your setup
the 400 is a great motor, i have one with about everything u can do to one short of finding aftermarket heads, i was managing about 12mpg with a 4spd and 33's out of mine, and it was 2wd

they just dont get mileage, so once u accept that fact u can tune it to get all the power u can out of that engine

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
adapter plate

use adapter plate stead of swapping intake does 4bbl have mech or vac seconderies if its vac it should get better milage "keep ur foot out of it" because primaries are smaller than the 2bbls or mabe change the jets n carb smaller on primaries 4 milage n larger on seconderies for power hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The '79 F-150 I had also had the 400m, which I upgraded to a Holley intake/carb setup. It was an 1850/4160 carb; manual choke, vac secondaries. It got about 10mpg no matter what....uphill, downhill, tailwind, headwind. I was running 35s on it with 3.50 gears, too. Just a part of the package.....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The '79 F-150 I had also had the 400m, which I upgraded to a Holley intake/carb setup. It was an 1850/4160 carb; manual choke, vac secondaries. It got about 10mpg no matter what....uphill, downhill, tailwind, headwind. I was running 35s on it with 3.50 gears, too. Just a part of the package.....
That is all our '80 gets too, factory everything.

It isn't an ideal milage setup though, T-18, 4.10s and 235/85-16's... she is pretty wound up on the highway. I think a 5 speed would be a massive improvement for milage.

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine had a C-6 automatic & manual 4wd. Good thing it had dual tanks, too!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine had a C-6 automatic & manual 4wd. Good thing it had dual tanks, too!
This one did originally, the front (main tank) developed a hole. We had it sitting beside the shop and somebody stole it.

So since it only has the little rear tank it doesn't miss too many gas stations anymore... :shok:

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There's a guy in Dubuque IA who makes and sells poly replacement tanks, or used to. My CJ-7 has one, and so did my EB. He sells/sold to JC Whitney, Quadratec, and probably other "name" sellers. He might even still do the free shipping to USA, too.

Update: He's still in business. Here's his website link:
http://www.mtscompany.com/

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's a guy in Dubuque IA who makes and sells poly replacement tanks, or used to. My CJ-7 has one, and so did my EB. He sells/sold to JC Whitney, Quadratec, and probably other "name" sellers. He might even still do the free shipping to USA, too.

Update: He's still in business. Here's his website link:
http://www.mtscompany.com/
Dad keeps flip flopping back and forth if the truck is worth fixing.

It needs a clutch, it needs an engine, it needs cab corners, it needs doors, it needs front fenders, in needs a bed, it needs a main fuel tank, it needs, it needs...

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:headbang::headbang:mine gets 7mpg uphill down hill towin a trailer etc... but i do have a intake with 2 4bb holleys double pumpers on it:icon_hornsup:
when summer comes around in tearin her back out and rebuilding the bottom end

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
A 400 isn't going to be an mpg champ no matter what you do to it. A 4 bbl can give you better mpg than a 2 bbl if you can stay out of the secondaries because the primaries are smaller than a 2 bbl carb.

It's a 70's smog motor with low compression and a shit cam. I'd put in an RV cam from Comp Cams and a better timing chain, higher compression pistons like 9:1 if you can afford it, and it'll be a lot better.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0702_ford_400m_engine_build/index.html

klancy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79 ranger
butc
Make / Model
90 xlt 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
where would i find one of these elusive 4 bbl intakes?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals