• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 60 swap..

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well after much hard pondering, I've finnaly figured out what I want to do, and what parts i'll be using. If money wasnt an issue, this would be about a month project but with funds not so plentiful, it has to be done in sections, which is ok, cause its winter and what else is there to do.

With that being said, i'm picking up a 1978 F250 with dana 60's front and rear. Also it has a 4speed, np205 and a 351w. So i'm going full width axles on my 1994 ranger. Its an extended cab 4x4 ranger, nothing special except for the 6inches I have on her now, but thats gettin old considering i'm the smallest of the group now. :annoyed:
I'm mechanical inclinded, which includes welding, but not that well in that area, but i'll be having some help from a few machine shop workers.
My first of many questions is;
In order to mount the axles to the truck, i'm using leaf springs for a yj btw, but do I move the perches on the axle or do I set up a cross member to where ever the spring is going to be. Most likely since the axles are full width, they are not gonna line right up. Of course their not. So how do I make this work. So far this is about the only stump i've come to. Thanks for any input and advice from here on out guys!!!!

badblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
4 link with coilovers or air shock is what i would do.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
You sure it's a 60 Front? Many came with the 44HD, in fact all of the ones I've seen in salvage yards around here had the 44. I think the package was Snow-Fighter or something similar that had the upgraded D60 front.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You sure it's a 60 Front? Many came with the 44HD, in fact all of the ones I've seen in salvage yards around here had the 44. I think the package was Snow-Fighter or something similar that had the upgraded D60 front.
My '78 F250 is identical to the one listed with the exception of a 400M. They aren't very common with a Dana 60 front, but they are out there...

hick

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well I'm going to look at the truck very soon, And i know what a sixty looks like so i'll know right away. If so its mine..

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
should I convert the rear to disc brakes or just leave the drums alone?

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
should I convert the rear to disc brakes or just leave the drums alone?
Depends on what you want to do with it, might want to ditch the drums in favor of discs just for the weight savings. Another thing to consider is that you probably only have 30 spline axle shafts in the rear. Depending on what tires you are planning on running, you might want to replace them right away as well...

hick

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Convert the f-250 frame to coil front and cut the frame down (length wise) to match your Ranger body. Works awesome! there are a bunch of them around here. Nothing can touch them in the mud.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As my previous question stated, do I move the original spring perches, make new ones, or leave them and build a cross member?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals