• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2WD Low Range Modification? 1990 Ranger

Synchman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1990 Ranger with the 4.0L V6, automatic tranny, 4wd, electronic transfer case and automatic hubs.

I was plowing yesterday, and reminded again how nice it would be to have 2wd low range. With chains on all four tires, I need low range to push snow but 2wd so I don't bind up the transfer case as I turn sharply on my concrete parking pad clearing snow.

I like the convenience of automatic hubs, so putting in manual hubs is not a desirable fix.

Possibly this sketch show how to do it...
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/GIJoeCam/697551.jpg

Anyone know for sure how to do this mod?

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I don't quite know what the drawing is for... This is not possible. The front driveshaft spinning is what locks in your automatic hubs, so whenever you get the t-case into 4 Hi or Lo, as soon as the shaft starts turning, the hubs will lock.

Easiest way to do it is swap on a set of manual hubs and go from there. Lock them when you need true 4wd, leave them unlocked and use 2-lo.

Donnie strickland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Congrats on your truck: that's a nice looking rig!

But Jspafford is right. The only way to get what you're after is to go to manual hubs. The hubs themselves are not controlled by any electronics, so I'm not certain what the drawing is for. BTDT -- my truck used to have auto hubs; now it's got manuals. You are right about the convenience of 2wd low, though. It's very handy to have (although I don't use mine for plowing snow; I use it to pull my boat out of the water).

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It might be possible to get a 2-LO position if you modified the internal shifter components in the t-case, although this would be an intricate thing requiring some creative machine work.

Another option that might work is a driveshaft disconnect of some sort on the front shaft (I've seen these for use on the rear shaft for flat-towing a vehicle.).

Otherwise its manual hubs (or just put up with the tires scuffing)

Edit:
Maybe a 4405 fulltime case from an Explorer could be used... I don't know what is needed to put one in a Ranger though.

Synchman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Appreciate the replies, guys. The sketch led me to beleive you could "fool" the transfer case into thinking it was in 2WD and putting the system into low range. Because of the two seperate buttons in the cab, I thought they were independent systems. After this discussion I looked up a picture of the transfer case with the electronic shifter removed. You can see there are three positions on the shaft, 2HI, 4HI and 4LO, so clearly when you go to low range the front driveshaft is engaged with no option.

It sounds like the best way to get the convenence of auto-hubs and the ability to go 2-Low would be a front driveshaft disconnect. I found some for tow vehicles, but this a rather expensive solution.

Last edited:

Synchman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Congrats on your truck: that's a nice looking rig!

/QUOTE]

Thanks! I purchased it used around 93. It has been a really good rig for me, daily driver, hauling me to the mountains for skiing and hiking, hauling wood and lawn equipment.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A front driveshaft disconnect is MORE convenient than manual locking hubs? Huh?

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I was thinking this too, hell if it's that big a deal, and you have an open front diff all you have to do is unlock ONE hub, the driver side would be closest, jump out, turn the knob and voila, 4WD.

Synchman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Auto-Locking hubs + front driveshaft disconnect is more convenient than manual hubs. The front driveshaft disconnect would be for the more rare conditions of needing 2-LO, and the auto-hubs would provide the convenience of 2HI-4HI for highway driving in variable conditions.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
You can still shift into 4WD while on the highway with manual hubs. Just have to make sure the hubs are locked. I drive around all winter with mine locked, gets nasty, jerk the lever back. Clears up, push it back up to 2WD and continue until the next storm.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, whatever.

I'm in the same boat more or less.

I don't find it a big deal to pull over and lock the hubs when needed. You can leave them locked all the time if you THINK you might need 4WD.

And I suspect you'll change your mind the first time you break those POS auto hubs or fry a wheel bearings because the auto hubs have a much sloppier adjustment (so you have to choose between loose steering and a fried wheel bearing).

Synchman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, whatever.

You can leave them locked all the time if you THINK you might need 4WD.

And I suspect you'll change your mind the first time you break those POS auto hubs or fry a wheel bearings because the auto hubs have a much sloppier adjustment (so you have to choose between loose steering and a fried wheel bearing).
You are right. I'm replacing my auto hubs with manuals at the next opportunity.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals