• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Building a winch anchor?

94xcab4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
RIP 94
Make / Model
chevy cc 4x4 15
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Has anybody on here built one of these or even bought one? If so how did it work? If you built one what kind and size of material did you use?http://www.pullpal.com/ppspec.html

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Get an old boat anchor. It works just the same and its a damn sight cheaper. They work pretty good especially when there are no trees within reach, and its faster and easier then burying a dead man.
An anchor designed to hold a 30' boat should be adequate for a ranger....You might want to step up to one for a 40' for your Chebby:thefinger:

-Jester

Last edited:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was thinkin about this alot lately, keeping a boat anchor around specifically for winching, I was wondering would it dig properly to hold ground when winching or just pull through the soil? Would keeping a telephone pole anchor be better? lets hear yall ideas.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I was thinkin about this alot lately, keeping a boat anchor around specifically for winching, I was wondering would it dig properly to hold ground when winching or just pull through the soil? Would keeping a telephone pole anchor be better? lets hear yall ideas.
People have been using them on boats for centuries for a reason. They work. They do pull through the soil some until they get a good bite, especially sand.

You could get a 3' piece of 2.5" round bar, grind a spike on one end and grind/machine flat sides at the top, kind of like this.

So you could attach a clevis to to the top of the spike.
Pound that bitch into the ground until only 3 or 4 inches are sticking out. That should be more then adequate for a ranger. Then to get the spike out you swivel the clevis so its straight up and us a highlift jack to pull it out of the ground. I have never use this type of anchor though. FWIW

-Jester

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
get a 20 pound danforth style high tensile boat anchor. won't be as cheap as a non high tensile but it will not let go just pulling a ranger.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thats is what i was figuring. I was on lake okeechobee alot and its a mucky bottom, anchors will stick with the light pull of wind or current, but when a force is applied such as retracting the anchor it slips right out. Maybe a saltwater type anchor would be better>?

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thats because your anchor is not setting... its laying on the bottom. In Houston we have really soft mud and if you set it right it will not let go unless you use the motor to pull it out. And even then you bring up 5 pounds of muck.

This is the anchor that would be best suited to off road

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thats the exac anchor I was thinkin andthats what we used on the lake, which is a mucky bottom, I always pulled up the 5 lbs of crap, but it didnt take much effort. taylor creek out there has a current so when its laying on its side its diggin in.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
damn those are expensive anchors too...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals