• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pump Shaft on Distributer install trick

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay.....putting this thing back together and wondering what the trick is to make sure that the shaft on the distributer doesn't fall into the oil pan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, how did you get it out in the first place. thats designed to go in from the bottom unless somebody removed the clip. if you have to put it in that way, just take a punch and 'peen' the sides of the shaft so it will swell and put it in the distributor and install. that should keep it in the distributor while you put it in.

edit/// nevermind. im thinking of a 5.0

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it simply came out with the distributer

It came out while removing the distributer but I managed to keep ahold of it so it didn't fall back in because I am familiar with that happening on small block chevys. With a chevy you can feel the "cup" that it goes into on the oil pump....with this 2.8 it seems like it could just drop off into oblivion.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On the 2.8 I'm mostly finished building (just finished painting, and awaiting final assembly and re-installation) the only way to remove and install it was by removing the oil pump. The rod I removed and the new one I installed both had a clip pressed onto them. Afore mentioned clip should prevent it from coming out through the distributor opening. IIRC from the way it looked it could drop off into oblivion (AKA bottom of oil pan). If I were going to try to just slide it back in I'd probably try a pair of very strong mechanical mechanical fingers and make sure it's seated before you release.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
did you get the oil pump shaft back in?

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope.....haven't tried yet.....ran into issues getting passenger side exhaust manifold bolts out.....I am also afraid that the bolt that holds the exhaust crossover tube thingy on is going to twist off ....think I can just leave that attached to both exhaust manifolds and simply slide the new gasket in place when I get the new heads on ....or at least that i what I am hoping for....

wish I would have pulled the darn motor out to do the heads.....this is taking much linger than anticipated.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i know what you mean,i went through it about march or april and yes,you can get the gaskets in there.i broke 2 bolts on drivers side exhaust.i took the heads off w/motor in truck and it takes awhile,but it can be done.my oil pump shaft stayed in when i removed the distributor.i saw your post and i didn't know what to say.hang in there and post them questions.

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man.....I guess I will just peen the oil pump shaft like suggested and hope for the best....I think I might take tomorrow off work and extend the weekend so I get her up and running. Do I have to take the carb off to get the intake off? It looks like I can just use a box end wrench to get to the intake bolts.......

once again, thanks for the help

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i did,you'll be better off when you torque the intake down.

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
awe man, that means I need to go get a couple more gaskets then doesn't it.....I didn't think about how I would get the socket on there for the torque wrench...maybe I can use a swivel socket???? (hoping)

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry,i bought a head kit w/all the gaskets.i don't know about the swivel,it might work.fun,ain't it.

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, I bought the head kit and it didn't have the gasket for the carb to the spacer and from the spacer to the manifold, it did contain the manifold gasket though.....I just hate to separate the carb from the intake when it doesn't leak and has probably been there since 84......yes, it fun though!!!

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
there is no gaskets for that stupid plastic spacer, the spacer is the gasket, thank you Ford!

The gasket is actually laminated to the spacer...

The 2.8 is quite a unique motor to work on!:icon_confused:

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, it is back together and running like a champ, thanks for all of your guys help. I actually used permatex to temporarily glue the shaft into the distributor so I could install it......must have worked because I have oil pressure. Once again, thanks for all of the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals