• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

All kinds of problems

akshep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Well I got my ranger about a month ago and finally got of road worhthy, or so I though. I had a oil leak which I fixed with Lucas oil treatment, and it needed an alternator. I get all this installed and fixed. I go to stArt the truck and it looks like a damn smoke machine. But it was smoking from under the hood from one of the valve covers. The longer I let the engine the less it smoked. Any idea as to what would cause this?
thanks for any help.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If the truck had sat for a good while, it sounds like maybe it was just oil burning off that had leaked out of the valve cover and onto the exhaust manifold. Did the motor seem to run OK otherwise?

akshep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
other than the ton of smoke poring from the engine you wouldn't know there was anything wrong. Idle sound great and it drive real good. I just had to fix the oil leak and fgure this smoking problem out and it should be good to go, I hope. Sorry for any grammar errors its kinda hard to type on ithe iPhone

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
other than the ton of smoke poring from the engine you wouldn't know there was anything wrong. Idle sound great and it drive real good. I just had to fix the oil leak and fgure this smoking problem out and it should be good to go, I hope. Sorry for any grammar errors its kinda hard to type on ithe iPhone
Then it sounds like it's just old oil cooking off.

Wouldn't hurt to carefully clean the motor a little, to get a better handle on where all it's leaking. I've got an '84 2.8L truck also; on mine the valve cover gaskets (likely original) were so toasted when I got it that parts of them were actually gone. Valve cover gaskets are cheap and easy, and it might be worth a look at on yours.

1st generation trucks are starting to get scarce these days. Good luck with it.

akshep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
na I do not think its the gasket. Its coming from where you pour in the oil. I'm going to get it rebuild it if I ever get the money :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

ammocj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Get some rubber valve cover gaskets, you probably need to adjust the valves anyway.
If the oil is over pressuring and blowing out the fill hole
(mine blew thru the dipstick tube)
you may have a problem with the PCV or how its hooked up.

Al

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals