• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom Tire Swing Out or Modify One for a Jeep?

Mirage775

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been thinking about adding a Rear Tire Swing/Jerry Can holder to my truck. Since there aren't any bumpers like this, that are made for a Ranger anymore, I had originally thought about buying Affordable Offroad's 98-11 Rear Bumper and welding all the necessary bits on it to have the swing and holder. I found a couple of YouTube videos that show a "How-To" for this option.

I've thought about buying the Hitchgate, but it's $800+ alone....

Or could I buy a Jeep XJ Cherokee rear bumper with a tire swing already built for said bumper and just weld up some brackets for it, that mounted it to the Rangers' frame?

I have tons of ideas for this, just don't want to blow lots of money or waste time/steel attempting them.

Would appreciate anybody's thought on this idea?

Thanks!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I could probably build something similar to a Hitchgate for about $100.

Mirage775

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could probably build something similar to a Hitchgate for about $100.
If you lived a little closer to me, I probably would take you up on that offer! I don't really like how the Hitchgate mounts. I mean it looks like an easy solution to get your spare tire mounted to the rear of the truck, but the price for what it is, is just ridiculous!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My goal is to have a swing out tire carrier too. I also have a cap on my truck... and I would like to be able to open the rear of the cap without swinging the tire out of the way first. My thoughts are that it will require something custom built to allow clearance. I plan to start with a set of Affordable Off Road bumpers and just free style to make them do what I want them to do.

You might want to just contact AOR and see what they would charge to just add a tire carrier to their rear bumper.

Edit... For some DIY inspiration... look at jimmyspy's build thread. He built a custom bumper and a swing out tire carrier. You may get some ideas from there.

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
It's been done before using a Bronco II tire carrier. It is a lot of work though. A bumper with a swing-out carrier would be easier in my opinion.

GB :)

Mirage775

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My goal is to have a swing out tire carrier too. I also have a cap on my truck... and I would like to be able to open the rear of the cap without swinging the tire out of the way first. My thoughts are that it will require something custom built to allow clearance. I plan to start with a set of Affordable Off Road bumpers and just free style to make them do what I want them to do.

You might want to just contact AOR and see what they would charge to just add a tire carrier to their rear bumper.

Edit... For some DIY inspiration... look at jimmyspy's build thread. He built a custom bumper and a swing out tire carrier. You may get some ideas from there.
I've seen a tire carrier that drops downward, but doesn't swing. I just put a camper shell on my truck last week, after searching for a used one for about 2 years! I don't mind having to swing it out of the way to access the camper door :)

I think the guys at AOR got tired of answering my questions, LOL, as I haven't heard from them in a couple of weeks, but I'll shoot them a message on Facebook about adding a tire swing for me. The way I see it, I'll have to pay for one, regardless of who builds it for me.

It's been done before using a Bronco II tire carrier. It is a lot of work though. A bumper with a swing-out carrier would be easier in my opinion.

Yep, I saw some pics of a Bronco II carrier on a Ranger, but it was the old square body style... I didn't see any on a 98-up Ranger. Doesn't matter, those carriers are impossible to find around here anyway... I saw one for sale locally, years ago, but it was like $250-$300!

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Doesn't matter, those carriers are impossible to find around here anyway... I saw one for sale locally, years ago, but it was like $250-$300!

I've got more of them than I can count and I know where at least 6-8 more are located. lol The last one I sold, I got $175.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Doesn't matter, those carriers are impossible to find around here anyway... I saw one for sale locally, years ago, but it was like $250-$300!
I have a couple and I can't give the stupid things away.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a couple and I can't give the stupid things away.
I'd take a couple free ones. I'm all about free stuff lol. If your ever in Central Ohio let me know in advance b/c I'd be interested in buying one if you weren't asking much for them. Also to the OP, they make hitch mounted spare tire carriers. Not sure if you have a hitch or if this would be an option but these are out there and you could modify them too. Would be a simple bolt on design if you wanted to test the waters.

Evan Yopp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm in Western KY, so I'm a little bit closer. I could build you whatever you was wanting. IMO, you'd be way better off going with a bumper mounted swing. Totally reversible (no modifying the ranger), and factory B2 tire swings get sketchy once you start getting any bigger than a 31" tire.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Somewhere on here a guy built one. A nice one. It is either in a thread somewhere or there is a whole thread dedicated to it. I cant even remember who it was right now, but I will look for it and try to add a link.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Not on a Ranger, I built one for my Explorer. Modifying a factory bumper or adding a tire carrier to one crossed my mind but after discussing that with a buddy that did exactly that to his Duramax, I concluded that the factory bumper is not strong enough without significant reinforcement. So this is what I did. It's all 3/16 plate. Weight was a big concern but when it was all said and done I think it weighs maybe 50 pounds more than the factory bumper and receiver hitch that I took off - minus the weight of the extra tire of course.

I don't like those Hitchgate things at all. The tire sticks way out. Plus there has got to be a bunch of slop in the receiver tube. Not for me.

cflowrider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2 1/2" pipes with a Flowmaster 40 series
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31" KO2's
That is sweet!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not on a Ranger, I built one for my Explorer. Modifying a factory bumper or adding a tire carrier to one crossed my mind but after discussing that with a buddy that did exactly that to his Duramax, I concluded that the factory bumper is not strong enough without significant reinforcement. So this is what I did. It's all 3/16 plate. Weight was a big concern but when it was all said and done I think it weighs maybe 50 pounds more than the factory bumper and receiver hitch that I took off - minus the weight of the extra tire of course.

I don't like those Hitchgate things at all. The tire sticks way out. Plus there has got to be a bunch of slop in the receiver tube. Not for me.

Um... Where does the license plate go?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals