• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How often (if ever) to change power steering fluid?

BC ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Had a free oil change at the local dealer and they came back with their list of 'recommendations' including a power steering flush. I don't see it on the list of things to do at service intervals other than to check the fluid level and that's fine. I'm typically wary of anything they recommend but is my paranoia getting the better of me?

Oh yeah I'm at 130,000km (80,000 miles?)

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'd flush it no question. Any fluid breaks down (as well as gets dirtier) as it ages. At the very least it can't hurt anything to do it, just make sure they put the correct fluid in it afterward (Mercon ATF, not actual "power steering fluid", which is usually made for import cars).

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I usually suck all the fluid I can out of the reservoir with a pump and refill with fresh fluid. Doing it this way doesn't get all the fluid in the system out, but if you do it often enough, all of the fluid will stay fresh. I do it every oil change.

BC ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet thanks for the answers. I figured it was too good to be true to except the fluid to last forever.

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Usually right when you suspect a power steering problem.......

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I usually suck all the fluid I can out of the reservoir with a pump and refill with fresh fluid. Doing it this way doesn't get all the fluid in the system out, but if you do it often enough, all of the fluid will stay fresh. I do it every oil change.
this is so true. i wish i would have done it.

my truck is about to turn 200k, and its never had a power steering flush. for two years ive been getting shakey steering when its hot outside. i thought it was bad balljoints or maybe even the intermediate steering linkage going bad.

today i proved myself wrong with a simple fluid change. i just sucked out the reservoir with the truck running... then filled with new fluid (only takes about a 1/4 quart each time). then, turn the wheel back and forth about 10 times. suck out the reservoir again and refill with fresh, and turn the steering wheel again.

i did this about 6 times, used up three quarts of fluid before i finally stopped. the fluid was black, now its light brown (new fluid was clear). so it looks a little better, but most importantly my steering tightened up completely. no more shaking wheel when braking, no more jogging wheel on bumps. it totally fixed my problems!

i would do exactly what exbass says. every oil change, suck out your power steering reservoir and replace with fresh fluid. this will ensure it stays fresh.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
the fluid was black, now its light brown (new fluid was clear). so it looks a little better,
The new fluid should have been red...as it calls for Mercon ATF

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The new fluid should have been red...as it calls for Mercon ATF
thanks. i actually thought it was, but i was in the store and didnt even bother asking the guy at the counter so i just grabbed the cheap regular stuff.

i wonder if the mercon is thicker, because if it isnt ill just keep running the clear stuff. its still a little loose, but it doesnt rattle int he steering colum like it did before. i know the rack is wearing out, and its completely my fault.

jegolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
question about power steering

I just recently have been having some problems with my power steering on the Ranger. Every turn is extremely shaky and every bump jogs my wheel uncontrollably to where i have to come to a stop for it to stop shaking. I just recently bought my truck and it does have a rebuilt front end, I just filled the fluid which wasnt very low to begin with, but I'm assuming just flushing the power steering fluid a few times may do the trick?

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you can flush the ranger steering yourself, with 2 people, unhok the return line into waste container with truck running in poor in new from the reservoir, voila, flushed! lol....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals