• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible wrong Power steering fluid?

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just replaced my power steering pump and put in CarQuest brand power steering fluid, unable to check the specifications when buying it i later found out it met different requirements. Will this hurt the system, it still meets a ford standard but the code it different. Everything it woking great, should i go through the hassle of changing the fluid?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it doesnt matter if you use power steering fluid or ATF in the system, but i advise against mixing the two. since you likely still had ATF in the lines and steering box, i would flush the whole system and use one or the other.

people have mixed the two with no known negitive side effects...but i just dont trust two mixed fluids to remain stable.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would stick with the ATF, it's usually cheaper. (Type-F or Mercon, depending on what year it is)

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the pump seems to be making a whine, not a weird one just the usual sound they make, It gets louder when i turn. Will this brake in or could it be a result of the atf and new power steering fluid? the system works good other than the pump noise. How would i go about flushing the system?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ford pumps whine...louder under load. i wouldnt worry about it.

just drain the system. unhook the lines, turn the motor over (dont start it). turning the wheels lock-to-lock will push most of the fluid out of the box. hook the lines back up and fill with choice fluid. turn the engine over (again, dont start it) and turn the wheels back and forth, adding fluid as required.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
ATF Type F will get rid of most of that whine...

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I flushed the system and was surpirsed at how little fluid it takes, roughly 1/4 of a quart? it still makes the same noise with new atf-type f. Any other ideas, they seems to be a roughness while turning too, mostly just to the left. Any help is appreciated, thanks

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I flushed the system and was surpirsed at how little fluid it takes, roughly 1/4 of a quart? it still makes the same noise with new atf-type f. Any other ideas, they seems to be a roughness while turning too, mostly just to the left. Any help is appreciated, thanks
you didn't get it all out of the steering box thats for sure. it takes more than that. Of course that will be hard considering it doesn't have a drain..

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
You can put some friction modifier in the P/S system to quite it up. Works well.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Jack both tires up, disconnect the lines at the box and then cycle the steering from lock-to-lock a few times to get the fluid out of the box.

rustyr182

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok so i decided to flush my powersteering and i did so but now im having a big problem i think i broke something in the rack and pinnion when i crank the wheel i here a poping noise and air is going inside the pump and now the whine is super loud and the power assistance is barely there i need help i hear the poping noise coming from the rack and pinnion boots cranked

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like youve got air in the system still. keep cycling the wheels and topping off the fluid untill it calms down and acts normal.

rustyr182

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i know im doing that but when the bubbles stop and it looks safe i start it and the level drops down to the bottom of the pump but then ill fill it up and back to normal then ill turn the wheel and its still loud then i turn off the engine and the ps fluid i put in overflows over top and spills all over the engine. i hear a poping noise coming from the rack and pinion boots as if air is getting sucked in from there i cant believe such a simple task has caused alot of problems

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals