• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

front seal...

Exploder_Chick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 V6
Transmission
Manual
so...i am having a big leak in my diff... im pretty sure its from the breather tube not having some sort of block on it and water getting into my diff cause when i checked the fluid it was REALLY liquidy, and it leaks, ALOT, haha. my question is. what is the process of changing the seal on it. you have to drop the driveline i know that, but i want to make sure im doin it right. its the dana 35 TIB in my 93 ford explorer. thanks guys!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Drain and replace the fluid NOW. The leak is the least of your troubles.

If the fluid looks chunky, the pinion is even slightly floppy, or the diff is noisy, it's simply not worth the effort to change the seal. Change the whole front pig.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Mine always leaked from the seal on the side where the passenger axle shaft exited the housing. It was a PITA, but I never got around to replacing it.

Which seal is leaking? Also, if you haven't already, extend the breather tube up to the radiator core support or firewall to prevent water contamination.

Exploder_Chick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 V6
Transmission
Manual
its not chunky, just watery, its leakin i belive right out of the bottom where it bolts up to it. where is the drain plug on it? i cant seem to find it, as far as i can see, i have to pull it apart....

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
its not chunky, just watery, its leakin i belive right out of the bottom where it bolts up to it. where is the drain plug on it? i cant seem to find it, as far as i can see, i have to pull it apart....
The Dana 35 TTB doesn't have the usual drain plug. There is a plug on the front of the diff that is the drain/refill plug. You can't miss it. You have to pull that out then use some sort of suction pump to drain the fluid. Just about any auto parts store will carry a pump for this for about 10-15 bucks or so.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
I added a drain plug to the bottom of my pig when I had it out to do the Cclip eliminator. just a tiny hole tapped with a 1/4 pipe tap and a proper sized plug put in it.

Exploder_Chick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 V6
Transmission
Manual
thats what i thought. thats the damdest thing... i dont see why they couldnt have made a simpler drain plug. lol.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
thats what i thought. thats the damdest thing... i dont see why they couldnt have made a simpler drain plug. lol.

So people would ask questions:icon_twisted:

I may just add one too. Sucking fluid out sucks.

It would make more sense to have had one from the factory, but they need some idiot to bring thier truck in and waste their money at the dealership.

Exploder_Chick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 V6
Transmission
Manual
ya, lol, true. oh well im not to worried about, im gonna swap it out for a dana 44 when i get the money...im just really broke right now, i put myself in a hole and cant get a loan to pay everything off, so for now im screwed, lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals