• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TK5 (used from 83-87) best oil?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd say you could probably use 75W-90, but you need GL4 or it is gonna eat the syncros, and I have yet to run across a GL4 75W-90.

Mike Tonon

I'd say you could probably use 75W-90, but you need GL4 or it is gonna eat the syncros, and I have yet to run across a GL4 75W-90.
It says that it’s recommended for older transmissions, recommending GL3 and GL4. What is GL3/4?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
GL3 and GL4 are just standard fluid specs, they tell you things about what's in there, if you know how to interpret it.

I'm not surprised that an MTF would be OK, it would have been made with the brass syncro rings in mind.

Mike Tonon

GL3 and GL4 are just standard fluid specs, they tell you things about what's in there, if you know how to interpret it.

I'm not surprised that an MTF would be OK, it would have been made with the brass syncro rings in mind.
So this 75w90 mtf might be more than fine, then?

Mike Tonon

Another thing I was thinking about... years back on here, someone claimed to be getting mid 20 something mpg, with a 2.9 Ranger 5-speed, that he did something like a dozen mods to. High quality fluids all around was one thing he did. I wonder if he used this mtf or something like it. I think he said that he also did an efan, port and polished the intakes, headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, high performance ignition system, tune and a maf conversion.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Consider Pennzoil Synchromesh. I have used it in several older gearboxes with great success, and much improved shift quality. Including my old ‘90 Ranger. You can get it at most auto stores (AZ and Advance).

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem

Mike Tonon

This is what I use in all my builds of this type of transmission. Just what I prefer and have found to work best over the years. Price point is steep,but I wouldn’t use anything else at this point in time.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/MTL_GO_PROD_INFO(1).pdf
Very cool! How does it compare to Motorcraft 75w90 full synthetic? Also, how often should the fluid in these transmissions be changed? Some have said it’s lifetime. Others said 100,000 miles. I did mine in my old 87 Ranger at about 120,000 miles and the transmission was still ok at about 190,000 miles when I sold the truck and I used to beat on it too. I had the clutch changed also at about 120,000 miles and afterwards was able to chirp third gear. I also used to load this truck up to its weight limit and gun it! But as I said, the thing was crazy hard to shift when cold and also, the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros seemed a bit worn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals