• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5 lima exhaust manifold help!

anchoredinchrist

Reaction score
I have a 1998 ranger with somewhere around 200k miles and my exhaust manifold cracked. No big deal, huh? Well... I started looking and it appears that nobody makes them! I only saw one used one on eBay, and they wanted $200 shipping! My question is, where can I get one? I heard mention of the 93-97 ranger 2.3 engine will work, but can't even find that. What I did find is a Dorman 674-230 which is for a 1992 and older ranger 2.3 and 2.0. Will that one work for the 2.5?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
When I swapped a '98 2.5 in to my '93 that had 2.3 I used the original 2.3 tubular style manifold with no issues.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
sheltonfilms.. just went and looked at your post re exhaust manifolds.

I think the tubes welded to the flange help keep the flange straight as the bolt inside will act as a longer lever to prevent warping. Bolt captured will stay straight when temp changes, and the 'tube' will stay parallel to the bolt shank, and keep the flange evenly applied/torqued to the cylinder head. Well, it was a guess anyway.
Did you notice any difference with the tube manifold, compared to the cast?

I am pretty sure from readings that the manifolds should bolt up across all years. As I understand, the cylinder heads changed the valve stem diameter, and perhaps the diameter over time, but the casting remained the same. Same casting implies same outlet/exhaust port shape.
tom

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Will it work the other way? And how about the pre 93 manifold? Main thing I'm thinking is the egr port.
I don't think you need it to work the other way. You want to put a '93 manifold on a '98 2.5, right? That is exactly what I did. The only issue is that I don't think the tubular manifold has the provisions for the hoses that run to the DPFE.
I have no experience with '92 and older manifolds.

anchoredinchrist

Reaction score
I just found a place I can get the original type one for $30. It's a guy who specializes in Ford rangers and has a ranger parts yard. Now to find time to go get it. :-D

poondobber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It took me a while to find one. I found one about 45min away at a junkyard and when I got there it was the wrong year. The second one I found through an online junk yard and asked for pics before they shipped it.

Mine was rusted to hell and there was one bolt/stud that I could not get out of the head. Even with a torch and easy out I could not get it to budge. So I left it in and im just running with 7 bolts.

Recommendation. Chase all the threads with a tap before assembling. This includes in the head and the bolt holes for the cat. Use some anti-seize to reassemble. I also painted mine to help keep the rust down later.

anchoredinchrist

Reaction score
Yeah, it took me a while too. But thankfully a friend told me about this local parts guy who specializes in rangers. I called him and he had one sitting on the shelf. I'm redoing the head, all new valves, lifters, springs, seals etc, and I'll be chasing all the threads.
It took me a while to find one. I found one about 45min away at a junkyard and when I got there it was the wrong year. The second one I found through an online junk yard and asked for pics before they shipped it.

Mine was rusted to hell and there was one bolt/stud that I could not get out of the head. Even with a torch and easy out I could not get it to budge. So I left it in and im just running with 7 bolts.

Recommendation. Chase all the threads with a tap before assembling. This includes in the head and the bolt holes for the cat. Use some anti-seize to reassemble. I also painted mine to help keep the rust down later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals