• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sleeve issue

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, I installed a sleeve on the crankshaft main seal area. After pushing it as far down as it will go there is still 1/8in. protruding beyond the end of the crankshaft where the flywheel mounts.
What is the best way to remove the excess sleeve material?

Thanks

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have one of those sleeves (leftover from a FelPro gasket set), and the sleeve is just long enough (13/16") to slide all the way over the machined surface of the vibration dampener. The end of the sleeve is beveled so it will stop at the end of the machined surface and not damage the seal when the vibration dampener is installed. Also, by cutting off the last 1/8" you take a chance that the seal will be too close or past the edge of the sleeve when the dampener is installed. I realize it's too late now, but sometimes it's better to just slightly change the position of the new seal (if possible) so it rides on a different part of the vibration dampener or crankshaft. The picture I attached shows that this is probably what the previous owner of this used engine did before I bought it.

Attachments

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
My situation is a bit different as the sleeve is longer than the area to be repaired. When it is seated as far down as it will go the sleeve protrudes beyond the end of the crankshaft, i.e. the sleeve is too long and needs to be shortened.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals