• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going from dual exhaust back to single?

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On my ranger, the PO put in a dual exhaust and it's rotted to hell and has a bunch of rust hols formed or forming. Looking at replacement exhausts, should I just go back to stock single exit? If so, do I need to do anything else to like the cat or can I just bolt right up? Or should I stick with dual?

Unsure of the pros/cons of either, and whether going from one to another requires any special installation adjustments.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Modern fuel injected vehicles are not "de-tuned" or use anything to restrict power. The factory exhaust was engineered for maximum power and efficiency (and emissions). For the most part changing your exhaust is just to change the sound UNLESS you have from headers to tailpipe and also have the vehicle professionally tuned to make use of any extra gains in flow. That gain would be very limited anyway and is generally a trade off between where your powerband is, and fuel efficiency. So I personally recommend just going back to the full OEM single system. The OEM system is generally designed for meximum midrange power which is what you want on a daily driver anyway. Stock parts are usually much cheaper as well.

You asked about the cat, now do you have a dual exhaust system from the cat back or is it true duel exhaust with a post cat on each side? If its just duel from the cat back you can reuse the cat and just switch the duel back to a single tailpipe and muffler.

Last edited:

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Modern fuel injected vehicles are not "de-tuned" or use anything to restrict power. The factory exhaust was engineered for maximum power and efficiency (and emissions). For the most part changing your exhaust is just to change the sound UNLESS you have from headers to tailpipe and also have the vehicle professionally tuned to make use of any extra gains in flow. That gain would be very limited anyway and is generally a trade off between where your powerband is, and fuel efficiency. So I personally recommend just going back to the full OEM single system. The OEM system is generally designed for meximum midrange power which is what you want on a daily driver anyway. Stock parts are usually much cheaper as well.
That's the plan. Just making sure it is really as simple as chucking the old exhaust and bolting the new one up to the cat.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That's the plan. Just making sure it is really as simple as chucking the old exhaust and bolting the new one up to the cat.

Read the last edited part of my post. Depends how its currently setup. But either way, yes you just need to bolt the oem stuff back on... how the duel is done depends how many parts you will need and if you need new cat(s)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
As long as it's just from the catalytic, back. Switching back to a single exhaust shouldn't be a problem. Most systems out there are cat back. If they did something to split the exhaust all the way from the front to back, that may be a problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals