• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please Ranger FANS Help a rookie parts interchange on 1992

matt889

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I have a unique situation. I currently own a 1992 Ford Ranger 4x4 Reg Cab Longbox with the 4.0 and 5 speed manual and has the 8.8 rear with d35 front, I LOVE IT!!!!!

I also have a 1993 Ranger 4x4 Reg Cab Longbox with the 4.0 5 speed manual and has the 8.8 and d35 front, I like this truck also but prefer my square body MUCH MUCH more. I am only keeping one of them. My questions are to follow:

1. This truck will be my wheeler truck, I don't intend on denting it much but will get plenty scratched up, my MAIN and mostly ONLY concern is if I break drivetrain parts what can I get that will interchange with my 1992? I went to the wrecker and they said I can't use basically anything from the 1993-1997 trucks. Are they right or wrong?

2. I am mostly worried about C-hubs and axles and driveshafts breaking, shock mounts and other wheeling related parts. What is the newest year I can get these drivetrain parts out of in wrecked vehicles and more importantly what types? I think exploders have much of the same running gear? But I am not sure

If I cannot get these breakable parts easily the wrecker told me the 1993 round body trucks all share parts with the 1993-1997 ones and are much easier to find parts for. I am not worried about finding replacement body panels, just all the gear to keep my little rig rollin :).

3. I read online that since my truck has the electric push button transfer case I can get an adapter kit to run the 5 speed HD transmissions from anything from a 2001-2008 ranger with the 4.0?

4. One thing to note is that my 8.8 is the 28 spline not the better 31, but if you tell me to get front and rear axle out of a exploder to get the 31 splines and then its alot easier to get the driveline parts I am so worried about then that would be awesome!

If its hard to find this gear then I guess I should keep my 1993 round one and sell my beloved square body :(

PS. I live on Vancouver Island, there are some wreckers here but there are hardly any square body rangers OR explorers in the wreckers, but alot of 1993-1997 round exploders and rangers

Last question:

5. I want to take the rims off of the 1993 black truck and swap them with the ones on the red 1992, will the automatic locking hub thing in my picture somehow work with the aluminum rims pictured in the other pic?

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Front axles will be the same, rear the '93 will have longer axleshafts. Carrier would interchange though.

I wouldn't use the automatic hubs off the '93 though...

90-94 Ranger's have the same exact front axle as yours, 95-97 have knuckles that support bolt on calipers.

'92 is the last year for the right length of axle shafts for your '90. You can swap the whole axle though. Swapping in an Explorer rear isn't too bad, there is a write up in the tech section.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, almost everything will interchange if you take the whole assembly instead of just one part here or there.

Also, 95-97 have knuckles that support bolt on calipers, spindles don't have much to do with calipers.

matt889

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok great thanks for that info. so yes I don't mind swapping whole axles if need be. If I get 31 spline front and rear axles from a exploder then can I interchange my axle shafts and carrier etc from 1990-1997 trucks? I don't mind doing full swaps my main goal is to make this truck as "newish" of running gear as possible so that I can replace broken parts easily.

the rear axle info worries me about 1992 being the last year of the "right length", so like I said if I get a exploder one does that open up my options?

And I don't want to use the automatic hubs, I want to put the aluminum rims off the red truck and put them on the black one, black one has near new BFG All Terrains I am going to take off of it :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok great thanks for that info. so yes I don't mind swapping whole axles if need be. If I get 31 spline front and rear axles from a exploder then can I interchange my axle shafts and carrier etc from 1990-1997 trucks? I don't mind doing full swaps my main goal is to make this truck as "newish" of running gear as possible so that I can replace broken parts easily.

the rear axle info worries me about 1992 being the last year of the "right length", so like I said if I get a exploder one does that open up my options?

And I don't want to use the automatic hubs, I want to put the aluminum rims off the red truck and put them on the black one, black one has near new BFG All Terrains I am going to take off of it :)
The front axle you have now is the same as an Explorer.

If you get an Explorer rear axle then you can use parts from any Explorer for shafts and any Explorer and many F-150's for the differential itself. I am not sure how interchangeable Explorer stuff is between 91-94 and 95-01. They went to disk brakes in '95 and I don't remember what all changed there.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To put any year Explorer rear axle in you need to weld on the spring pads.Explorers are under sprung and Rangers are over sprung.The rear axle you have is a good axle probably won't give you any trouble but don't put money into it.The Explorer axles have more splines 28 to 31 have bigger axle bearings and available with disc brakes.If you modify ten minutes on E-Bay will show you parts are more available and cheaper for the 31 spline.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pretty much covered but basically the whole '93 chassis/drivetrain (minus the rear axle being a hair wider) is identical to to the '92. They just changed the sheet metal & interior up a bit.

As much as I love the 2nd gens (I own 3 haha), that '93 looks pretty nice and would be a shame to part it out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals