• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Ranger or 4.0 Explorer - best donor truck???

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I have been doing some thinking about the next stage of my build, and I have decided it will definitely be a 4.0 swap, manual tranny, 8.8 explorer rear end, aussie lockered, and d35, also aussie-lockered.

My understanding is at some point the axles got wider... I wanna say 1992?

So this leaves me with the question of the best choice for donor truck. It seems the obvious option is a 1993-94 4.0 Explorer with a 5 speed, but explorers with 5speeds seem to be pretty rare?
I say 93-94 'cause they have wider axles right???

Would I better trying to find a 5-speed 4.0l ranger and getting the explorer axle elsewhere, or....?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Personally, I would grab an early 90s Ranger, like 90-93, and then get a 95+ Exlorer rear axle.

The Ranger would get you everything you want but the rear end. The 95+ Explorer axle opens up the option of disc brakes. And they will still fit under your fenders. I have 95 axles in my 87 and the tires don't stick out.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i agree with adsm. there really isnt one ideal donor for everything, you kinda gotta hunt to get the best of the best. if you want a 4.10 d35, you wont find it in the same truck as your 5 speed. you wont find it in an explorer at all. if you want disc brake rear, you wont find it in an explorer thats got a ttb. the best wiring donor for the engine swap is a 2nd gen ranger, explorers are waayyy different as far as the wiring goes. the supposedly better engine computer comes from a 91-92 explorer. ive done the research already, and ive done the majority of the same things you want to do!

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am not concerned with disc brakes, I was planning on going with an earlier explorer axle with the drums.

4.10 gears would be nice to find, but I will probably end up having to buy gears and regear the axles to 4.56 or 4.88 probably...

I assume 4.10s are pretty damn rare in a 4.0 Ranger?

Sounds like a Ranger is the winner (Which is the direction I was leaning towards) because then all I need is the rear axle from an explorer.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
kunar;1365651 the supposedly better engine computer comes from a 91-92 explorer. ive done the research already said:
What makes an explorer computer better? I would think an finding a manual explorer computer is no easy task?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals