• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bilstein shocks for FX4 Level II

iTurbo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a stock 2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II for my Dad. It has 132k miles and appears to still have the original Bilstein shocks, which are showing signs of leakage.

I looked on Summit Racing and found Bilstein B6 shocks, which they list as fitting this truck. Are these as close as I can get to factory replacements without having to spend a LOT of money at the Ford dealership? The truck has stock ride height and will stay that way.

Front:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-24-188241/overview/year/2003/make/ford/model/ranger

Rear:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-24-188258/overview/year/2003/make/ford/model/ranger

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The closest to factory that I have found is Bilstein BE5-2794 (front) and BE5-2795 (rear). They are slightly firmer than the factory shocks, which I think is an improvement over the factory shock. Otherwise, they are dimensionally like the factory shocks. These shocks can be found for considerably less than the factory Bilstein FX4 LII shock.

iTurbo

Reaction score
Thanks! I will check on those part numbers for sure.

I actually just got back from a trip to the parts desk at the local Ford dealership. Here are the prices they gave me for the factory Bilsteins:

Front: $177.87 each
Rear: $135.27 each

Yikes!

iTurbo

Reaction score
I did a little more internet research on the part numbers and it appears that the Bilstein BE5-2794/2795 are the same shocks as the B6 shocks in the Summit Racing link I had previously posted.

I searched the part numbers given by gw33gp above on eBay and found this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BILSTEIN-24-188241-46MM-MONOTUBE-FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBER-FORD-RANGER-MAZDA-B-SERIES-/400374553433?hash=item5d382edb59&item=400374553433&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

For the fronts, the auction lists the manufacturer part number as 24-188241 and the interchange part number as F4-BE5-2794-H3.

For the rears, it lists manufacturer part number as 24-188258 and the interchange part number as F4-BE5-2795-H2.

The auction also states that these shocks are the '4600' series, so it appears that the '4600' and 'B6' shocks are one and the same. So far the best price I can find is at Summit Racing. $75.95 a piece for front or rear with free shipping. Hope this helps someone out there.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
ajusa.com has them for $67.68 with free shipping. You are right, they are the 4600 series and the part numbers are superceded to 24-188241 and 24-18858 from the old part numbers that I gave.

I have bought form them in the past and was happy with them.

iTurbo

Reaction score
I just ordered a complete set of the Bilsteins for this '03 FX4 Level II from ajusa.com for $271!! Hands down the best deal I have heard of yet.

I couldn't find the right part numbers in their online catalog, so I called them up. The sales associate was very helpful and found the correct part numbers right away. Thanks again gw33gp.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
They're online catalog is not very user friendly until you get used to it. It does list the part numbers online, that is how I found out they changed. Glad you got a better deal.

iTurbo

Reaction score
I got the Bilsteins from ajusa.com today! Ordered Tuesday, got them Friday!

I haven't installed them yet, but they sure do seem very stiff compared to KYB Gas-A-Just shocks that I have bought for my cars. I know, useless comparison, but I digress. Can't wait to see how they compare to the worn out OEM Bilsteins that are on the truck now.

Last edited:

PGK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX$
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
So the "HD B6" and the 4600 are the same shock? That's kind of misleading. I'm in the same boat with my 07. Is there anything 'better' than Bilsteins? Like a dedicated offroad baja type shock? I like my Bilsteins don't get me wrong, I just don't have the typical daily driving conditions others do.

iTurbo

Reaction score
I got the new Bilstein B6 shocks installed today. As far as I can tell they are the same as the 4600 series; just a superceded part number like was previously mentioned.

I love the way the truck drives and handles now! It feel like a new truck again, although I must admit I also had a new set of BFGoodrich All Terrain KO tires installed at the same time. As it turns out, only one of the rear original Bilstein shocks on this trucks had blown (major leakage). The others were still fine albeit dirty.

I can definitely say the the new B6 shocks are firmer than the originals, I would say substantially just compressing them myself when off the truck. This might not be a fair comparison however, since the originals had 132k miles on them. I did compare them to the non leaking original ones though.

Truck rides great and so smooth now. I had decided to install new ones because the truck felt a little squirrely hitting bumps on the interstate, understandably so with the blown rear shock. With the new shocks installed, it feels quite firm but very much in control.

I looked on the original shocks for a 'Ford' OEM markings or part numbers but did not find any, although I will need to clean them up a little better and check again. The only difference I can tell other than the valving, is that the dust boots were different. The new B6 shocks use a bright blue accordian boot; the old ones used a tube sleeve.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have been off-road quite a bit with both the Ford/Bilstein and the Bilstein replacement shocks. I can tell you for sure the Bilstein replacement are firmer. I always felt the Ford/Bilstein shocks were a little to soft. That is great for a more comfortable ride on pavement but not so good for off-road. I have about 50,000 miles on the Bilstein replacement shocks and they are still as good as new.

I replaced the original shocks at 100,000 miles not because they were worn out but because they had enough wear on them that I could tell they had a slight degradation in performance compared to new. Since I wanted firmer shocks anyway, I decided it was time to try the Bilstein replacement and am very happy I did.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals